Pencil condensors .

dreib

I have some cheap Nady pencil condensors that were given to me along time ago , I had never tried them as drum overheads till last week . I wasn't that impressed by the sound of my cymbals but I loved how the snare and toms had more bite so now Im considering maybe finding a higher quality pair .

So....

What do you prefer for OH's LDC or SDC?

What SDC's do you prefer as drum OH's ?

Remember this is for home recording so don't reply with Schoeps or 184's etc...budget friendly please.

In SDCs SM81s never fail and nt5s aren't shabby. If omni caps matter to you look at the latter.

Neither will break the bank.

There are other options, but SM81s are the industry standard for overheads. I've had okay results doing live sound with the F15s that came with my Audix Fusion 6 drum mic pack.

There are other options, but SM81s are the industry standard for overheads. I've had okay results doing live sound with the F15s that came with my Audix Fusion 6 drum mic pack.

Yeah, the F 15's work pretty well as overheads. I still use them on hats and ride but stepped up a bit to NT5's for overheads. Very nice.

Yea im gonna need something with a pad for sure. I just want a mic that has natural highs? If that makes sense .

Personal favourites are AKG 451 EB or AKG 391 B mics.

However, darn near as good for a lot less money would be the sE1A.

Yea im gonna need something with a pad for sure. I just want a mic that has natural highs? If that makes sense .

Oddly the P170 is no longer listed on many sites, Thomann for one but they still seem to be current at AKG!

Anyhoos, you can still get them easily enough and for under £60 in many places.

Dave.

it's all personal preference at the end of the day, like asking someone what their favourite clothes are, everyone has a different answer. I like Small Diaphram Condensor's for acoustic guitars...BUT I prefer Large Diaphram Condensors sometimes for a more romantic sound, it depends on the piece of music. If you want cymbals to sound smooth, then you definitely need a ribbon mic.

I dont know if you can get them, or how cheap they are anymore, but the oktava mc012 ( or mk012) mics are pretty nice too.

I might be showing my age, I havr no idea if Oktava is even a company amymore.

I would suggest Oktava mk-012's with omni capsules or the se4's. The se1's have some of that over bright Chinese sound to them. If you have $700-800 you could get a used pair of AKG 451e or eb's. The Shure SM81's are fine but sound a little pedestrian. I like them for acoustic guitars but not as overheads if other mics are available. EV RE15's can work great as drum overheads with the right preamps but it is a specific, vintage kind of sound.

Back