optimam XLR cable length for M-audio Nova

skg

If some body can inform me on the following:

Supplied XLR cable with my M-audio Nova is short.
Can I make it longer to 10 feet?
What may be max cable length for such mic.
My gears are:Mic.:Nova,Mixer:Beheringers Xenyx 802,Sound Card:Yahama Audio gram 3.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,

As the others have said, there's no problem running mic level several hundred feet (and longer would likely be okay but I've never done it). I've run line level signals over distances measured in miles when doing things like golf tournaments.

...so ten feet is no problem at all. However, I'd just buy a longer cable rather than try to extend the short one. Extra connectors are always the weak spot. Oh, and don't skimp. Get a cable long enough to go to the other side of the room neatly so you can play with positioning--who knows, the acoustics might be better there!

Get a cable long enough to go to the other side of the room neatly so you can play with positioning--who knows, the acoustics might be better there!

Right.

When I made my cables, I picked a length that would allow me to place the mic anywhere in the room, going from my preamp rack....but I also have a bunch of shorter ones and some really long ones in case I want to go way out of my main studio space.

Also...you want enough length so you can neatly snake the cable around the perimeter or just out of your way. You want to avoid having cables stretched right across your main studio pathway, so then you have to constantly step over it/on it.
Yeah, at some point the cables will be across the floor, but with enough length, you can choose where/how it ends up going.

Think into the future ..... Will you ever need more than one cable at your desired length?

Then possibly you should check into a 4 or 6 channel sub-snake ... at say 35'.

Back