Opinions on a mic decision, could use some input

drummer11

Hey all, the last piece of equipment I need is a mic for the bass drum.

However I am considering using my Rode NT2 to save some money

I have a stock gretsch resonant head, not ported.

Multiple people told me that using a mic such as the NT2 might actually cause damage to the mic, so I thought maybe I should be safe and get a Bass drum mic like the D6 or Beta 52....

I have a couple of questions...

1) Have any of you ever successfully used condenser vocal mics on a bass drum? would the 200 dollar price tag be worth the "upgrade"? I am looking for a Rock/Funk/Metal sound.

2) Are stock gretsch resonant heads worth changing before a recording?

3) If I do get the D6 or Beta 52, should I get a ported bass head?

I understand there is no completely right or wrong answer, I just want peoples general opinions...

When I was when in your position and looking for a good kick mic, one of the members here told me to look for a mic that is versatile and can be used for other uses as well. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense and gets you better results for the money. :)

I wouldn't use just a condenser on the kick...if I were you, I'd check out the Electro-voice re20 orrr it's new little bro, the re320! They're both great on kicks, and plus are very flexible on a wide variety of other things! Don't get me wrong, D6s and Beta 52s aren't bad mics in themselves, but they are pretty limited on what they sound good on!

Ill look into them! might be a little out of my price range though, considering I already spent more than I thought I would~~~

I am kinda leaning towards the BETA52 because I am a bassist, and I like the way it sounds on bass cabinets.

Well, the re320 is only $300 new, so it's not that big a leap from the 52's price! It sounds great on bass cabs as well! And vocals! And guitar! :laughings:

One thing else to mention is that if you do go with the re320 or re20 is to make sure your preamp can crank out enough gain! You'll need at least 55-60 db to get the job done!

+55dB on a kick drum :confused:

OP, you like the B52, buy the B52. It's been used on a jillion recordings and a jillion^2 live shows. It will work. So will the EV, and a bunch of others, but you gotta start with something, and nobody minds too much if beer gets spilled on the B52.

+55dB on a kick drum :confused:

Haha sorry :p for some reason when I typed that I was thinking of what I use on vocals! My mind is not entirely with me atm...I tracked vox for 3 hours today and I've been studying for the past 6 hours :D In fact, I think this is a good signal it's time to sleep :laughings:

But yeah OP, like MSH said, if you're really digging the 52, buy it :)

Well, I decided on the Beta 52, thanks for help.

A buddy of mine agreed to sell it for 110. He likes his D6 more apparently.

Back