Omni Capsules

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
In general, how does an omni sound different than a cardiod?

More specifically does anyone have any experience with the omni for the nt5? Any othe omni SDC you like?

More specifically does anyone have any experience with the omni for the nt5? Any other omni SDC you like?

The omni head for the NT5 is surprisingly good - according to Tony Faulkner it can rival a Schoeps. :eek:

Personally I like the Sennheiser MKH 20 and 8020, but these are considerably more expensive.

I read a ton of stuff on how omnis sound, and just wanted to get some opinions from you guys here...not sure why, that usually just confuses me!

I already have the NT5, so maybe just getting the omni for them would be the best. It's only $89 so I'm not sure why I posted anything...I should just go get it and make up my own mind :)

Thanks!

Dangerous generalization: an omni is flatter and more accurate, in terms of exactly reproducing the source.

Of course, the reason that's dangerous is because there are an enormous number of omnidirectional mics in the world, and many of them are colored either by design or due to not really caring to make an accurate mic.

The reason the generalization is at least somewhat true is that the things you have to do to a mic to make it directional will also tend to produce anomolies in its frequency response which may vary depending on the source and its location (most obviously, the nearly universal proximity effect). If your goal in making a mic is to make it ultra-flat (like, say, if you were making an intrumentation/measurement/test mic), you'd probably use an omni design.

Back