Old Radio Shack Electret Cardoid question

revnet

I have a question about an old Realistic Low Imp Back Electret Cardoid mic model 33-1080. I know this mic has been discussed here before so I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

There is a little switch inside the mic near the battery compartment labeled "M" and "V". What is this for and how do I know which to use?

Thanks,

Jim
myspace.com/realityshowmusic

I think those stand for Music and Voice, respectively.....not sure exactly what they change, though....polar pattern, or frequency range, or what....

Typically, yes they stand for music and voice. Certainly in the case of Sony and Sennheiser mics.

In these two mics (and I have to assume in the mic in question) it activates a Low Cut/High Pass filter to compensate for bass tip up (proximity effect).

Music will have no cut, Voice will have the low cut - probably a 6 or 12dB per octave roll off at something around 120Hz or less.

The Radio Shack 33-1080 is a re-badged Sony ECM- 22 or 23 with a Radio Shack logo. Put a 12 volt cigarette lighter battery on there and the sound will amaze you.

Harvey Gerst said:
The Radio Shack 33-1080 is a re-badged Sony ECM- 22 or 23 with a Radio Shack logo. Put a 12 volt cigarette lighter battery on there and the sound will amaze you.

What kind of battery, I have a 33-1080 and it takes a AA battery.

Wow, I thought I was the only one other than Harvey who still has a pair of these. Mine are kept in the original boxes (wrapped with nylon filament tape), and still work great.

Thanks for the tip on the 12v battery.

I also have this RatShack Stereo mic. I may give it a try with a 12v battery.
15.jpg

ecm 22p

the Sony ecm 22p takes a 206 battery, but works very well with phantom power.....I often use a pair of them for acoustic guitar recording....I also picked up a pair of c-22 fet mics, but these will not function with phantom power, so I'll probably get rid of them.....the ecm 22p is an incredible sounding mic!.....and yes, the m and v stand for music and voice....I probably have a few copies of the original owner's manual if you need any information.

Back