Old Microphone

kip4

Hi Guys
i just bought an old microphone of ebay
untested. I'm not sure what kind of microphone it is and i was wondering if anyone has come across one like it before. If so please let me know as much as you can.
Thanks.
I didnt pay a huge price for it. It might not work.
I've never seen a connection like the one on it.
Not sure if it a crystal dynamic or a ribbon.
I just though it looked cool and even if it doesnt work i'd keep it as an ornament until I gutt it and put a ribbon motor in it and a transformer.
Thanks for any help you can give me

kent microphone.jpg

Well i hope thats the case Moresound. I'll be looking for some advice in how to wire it so i hope Stewart from x audio pops his head in. I'm not holding my breath for mr H although it would be lovely to see more of him.
If it works after i rewire the plug and i dont need a mic impedance matcher then i might keep it stock and use it for an extra mic when recording vocals for that nickel back feel.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's an end address mic. Ive seen pics of it without the mesh top and the capsules flat to the body unlike an LDC.

When i asked what kind of connector it had on it the guy said it was like a tv ariel connector so i assume he means bnc? I dunno.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be hard to figure out wiring. Have you got it yet?

One wire will test continuous with the metal shell, and the other two are hot/cold signal, if it's balanced.

It does look to be end address, but sure, you'll know that as soon as you address is. :)

i havent got it yet mate Only bought it off the bay yesterday i'm hoping it will be here mid week next week.
your absolutely right about the ground going to the shell and if it is balanced then i dont suppose its so critical even if i wire it back to front most daws have correction facility and some of my pres have phase reversal too.
I still reckon i'm going to need an impedance matcher.

I will address it as soon as i can too :laughings:

I can't tell teh connector, but I had (still do actually) an old Montgomery Wards 6L6 amp that had microphone inputs which were a round (ground I assume) screw connection on the outside with a flat connector (hot?) in teh center. I can't recall at teh moment the trade name. They were unbalanced, and at some point I managed to locate a (whatever it is called) to 1/4" phone adapter at Radio Shack, and used them with cheap ass Radio Shack dynamic microphones. (The same one I got a lip shock from while having the guitar plugged into the same amp btw....) Those were the days. I think everyone gets the lip shock at some point though.

Whatever it is it is cool looking, and it may surprise you after all.

Thank Blue Jinn.
you might be right i may be surprised and ahh the heady days of lip shock. them was the days when amps where amps and any mic would do.

Thank Blue Jinn.
you might be right i may be surprised and ahh the heady days of lip shock. them was the days when amps where amps and any mic would do.

That brings back memories. Everything was 1/4" connectors. I didn't even know what XLR's were.

Well i hope thats the case Moresound. I'll be looking for some advice in how to wire it so i hope Stewart from x audio pops his head in. I'm not holding my breath for mr H although it would be lovely to see more of him.
If it works after i rewire the plug and i dont need a mic impedance matcher then i might keep it stock and use it for an extra mic when recording vocals for that nickel back feel.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's an end address mic. Ive seen pics of it without the mesh top and the capsules flat to the body unlike an LDC.

When i asked what kind of connector it had on it the guy said it was like a tv ariel connector so i assume he means bnc? I dunno.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out wiring. Have you got it yet?

One wire will test continuous with the metal shell, and the other two are hot/cold signal, if it's balanced.

It does look to be end address, but sure, you'll know that as soon as you address is. :)

I was going to suggest that you speak to Paul about this Kip.

He is at least in the same country as you are. And he has done a far bit of fix-up to a few microphones.

Hi!

Those old Japanese RCA look-alikes are usually piezo/crystal mics, and have a high impedance output. I have seen some dynamics that look similar, but odds on for it being a crystal. Post some photos of the inside when you get it!

You will probably find that it has an unbalanced output cable, and you should try it with a 1/4 inch jack on the end.

If it is high impedance, it will not work well into a 'normal' mic preamp. Instead, connect it to an instrument input or even a DI box for best results.

I used a similar mic recently shoved into the back of a guitar amp cab, and got a really nice, big, tone!

Let us know how you get on.

Stewart

thanks Stewart
I should recieve it this week hopefully and i'll post some pics up too.
Thanks for the advice mate.

I recieved the mic today. I have to say it's in really good shape for a mic that dates from the 60's.
After putting a new 1/4" jack plug on it, it works great.
Only trouble is its a 50k ohm high impedance mic. It will work quite well if plugged into a line input on the mixer and a guitar amp.
It also works well when coupled to the reel to reel recorder.
Has anyone got any idea how to make this high impedance mic better match my low impedance modern mic pre amp as i'd really like to try it out.
Plus it's much smaller than i initially thought. The mic itself is only about 4" in length and 1 1/2" diameter.
So not much chance of modding it into a ribbon.
even if i cant couple it to my mic preamp i'm sure i will find a use for it.

Glad it's working for ya, Kip.
I can't really help with the impedance lark; I guess Stewart is your man for that,
but don't rule out the ribbon motor idea just yet.

I'm sure Stewart has the stats, but I'd estimate the reslo motor to be about 1"x1.5".
I thought I'd bought a toy when that thing arrived! lol.

BTW, the akai manual reads
Input Jacks.........Microphone (2): 0.55mV / 30k ohms.

Unrelated but are you aware of the tape speed selection process?
I ask because I was not until two minutes ago! lol.

Well, you could use a transformer - I can make/sell you one if needed.

But don't bother.

Just run it into a DI box or instrument input on your preamp. There is no point sending it through a step down tranny, just to have it stepped up again in the preamp.

Edit: The line input is not ideal - a lot of preamps have a dedicated instrument in for guitars etc. Use that!

(There, I have just talked myself out of a sale!)

Thanks Stewart
I tried it on the guitar/instrument in on my normal preamp and the signal was way too low and weak
then i remembered i have stashed away in a drawer a behringer mic 200 starved plate valve preamp i hooked it up tried several of the settings and it sounds great and i can now get a really good level to without cranking the amp so my wifes shouting at me to turn it down (and shes nearly deaf).
Thanks for that i might just keep it as it is it will come in handy when i need a high impedance mic.
I'm always on the look out for mics to mod anyway so i'll keep looking and when i find the right one you will get that sale mate.
Thanks again and you too Paul and Moresound.
i've posted a small clip of the mic recorded through the reel to reel in the analogue section (under post your recordings here) last page.

Hey, the old boy is sounding pretty nice! Good to see that the B-ringer has found a good use. We get so obsessed with high end gear when a good or even a great sound can be had with an old crystal mic and a budget preamp.

Kip has hit on something interesting here. There seems to be no real standard for high-Z instrument inputs (or outputs), so it is always worth experimenting with what you have. Your mic wants to see a really high impedance and it seems that your behringer is giving it what it needs.

Yeah kip - put that clip over here as well so that people who aren't members and just surfing the net can enjoy it and hear the quality too.

Back