octava MK012

Slightly off topic, but I just bought two shock mounts for my 012s on ebay for a total of $30. I know they're likely not original from Oktava, but they look perfectly adequate. This is less than 1/2 price of the other "MK012 shock mounts" on ebay. I'm not sure if this link will work since it's off a searrch, but if you're interested...< http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOCK-MOUNT-FOR...399986265QQcategoryZ29948QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem >

The elastic bands don't look quite as stout as the more expensive shock mounts, but I doubt it will be a problem...or I can always use a couple of my wife's hair bands.

two shock mounts
Those look interesting. I've been using Sabra-Som mounts for my MK012s. Only caution is that if you want to do an XY or ORTF you really need a dual mount designed for that, as the standard shockmount rings interfere with each other.

MOTU said:
This is quite interesting. My MK012s appear to be Russian according to most every picture from the link you posted. However, there are a couple of things that seem more Chinese:

1.) Mine say A.S.M. at the bottom as do the Chinese mics on the right
2.) Mine say Oktava like the Chinese mics, rather than the cryllic v which looks like a B. (However mine have MK-012-01 (no A after the 012) like the Russian mics in the photos.)
3.) I bought mine back in 2003, but they do not have serial numbers. I suppose they could have been manufactured before 2002 and therefore don't have serial numbers, but I bought 'em late in 2003. Actually, it could've even been early 2004.
4.) No documentation, (manual or response curve with hand written info)

Everything else is very Russian. White screws, silver sputtered contact pins, bonding areas have dimples for effective contact, metal mic clips, -10dB pads, and a case like the one shown on the Russian side. All the photos of the various mic parts on the Russian model definitely match mine too.

I can't remember how much I paid for mine...not too much though. Probably about $70 each.

I have one that fits your description perfectly. I'm pretty sure what you have is one of the legitimately imported Russian Oktavas sold by the U.K. company that later went on to contract out the Chinese version. A.S.M. is the import branding of both the Russian and Chinese Oktavas.

I sort of suspect that none of the A.S.M.-branded mics had serial numbers. I think only the Russian Oktavas that were sold outside the contract with the U.K. importer (Oktava Ltd.) are serialed. I could be wrong, though; you could simply have a mic that had been on a store shelf for a while.

Back