NT1A with UA710 pre vs. AKG C414

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

Currently I own a Rode NT1A and am using a UA710 preamp with it. I am thinking about investing into a serious mic...do you think I would hear a noticeable "more pro" sound with an AKG C414? It's the only mic I've found in the under $1000 price range that is tried, tested and true on numerous pro recordings.

Or...

Should I just stick with the Rode? I'm not having any problems with it but I'm no pro. I really want to work at getting that "pro" sound from my home studio (or as close as possible) and have already upgraded a lot of my gear. Other mic suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks,

ROK

You may want to check the microphone forum for some ideas especially the stickys with Harvey Gerst.

Also find the thread about the CM-6 that may be a cheaper alternative to the 414. It is a premodded tube microphone.

But it is hard to tell what will work for you as far as a microphone goes check out an EV RE20 or a Shure SM7b.

I'm looking for something strictly for vocals and acoustic guitar...do u think the Oktavamod nt1a would fit the bill?

Defiantly for vocals but when it comes to acoustic guitar you'll want a few small diaphragm condenser microphones or may just one again at Oktavamod HERE and you will see the Oktava MK-012 HERE which I also have and highly recommend!!

☼ SORRY ☼
Both of those links failed and I don't know why!?!

But the first one is to point out his modded MXL603's and the 2nd one is for his Octava modded MK-012 both can be found at his site once you get there.

Yes but I prefer the Oktava MK-012 microphone. read up on that one. But there is more than just the audiofanzine reviews go to the oktavamod site and read there.

Great, thanks for the help. I currently own a 603S as well si I will be sending both to them in the interest of using what I have and saving money. They'll do both for $550. Sounds like a good deal to me, two great mics for a few hundred less than I would pay for a C414. Thanks again.

Hi,

When picking a mic for vocals you really need to try it before you buy.

There are several excellent options within the price range of the AKG C414 :-

Neumann TLM102
Audio Technica 4047
Shure KSM44/32
Blue DragonFly
Shure SM7b
EV RE20

As for the acoustic guitar you should be able to get excellent results with both the Rode NT-1a and 603 on it! If your finding it hard to get a decent sound with those then it may be down to the room / mic placement or even the sound of the guitar!?

The problem with sending your mics off to be modded is you can't hear what it sounds like before you've bought it. You may find that one of the other mics suggested may sound even better on your voice!

Back