NT-1...Too Quiet???

needlewithaprun

I got my Rode NT-1 today. I opened up the box, read the manual and properly set it up (meaning that I connected an XLR cable to my Alesis io4 interface into GarageBand on a MacBook). It didn't seem to work so I cranked the gain to 11. The signal was barely detected.

I then tried the same setup with a different interface and had the same result.

I then tried the same setup with a different XLR cable with and had same result.

I then tried the same setup with a different condenser mic and immediately had to turn the gain down before blowing everything up.

I sent a message to Rode support and am waiting to hear back.

It feels like there is something obvious that I'm missing here but can't seem to figure it out.

On the box, it says that the Rode NT-1 is "The world's quietest 1" cardioid condenser microphone". Is my problem that the mic is actually working correctly but is simply too quiet?

It sounds like you've covered all the troubleshooting.
I can't think of anything obvious that you've missed.
Your other mic was a condenser, so you're obviously getting phantom power, and that also proves your cable to be good.

When Rode say the worlds quietest the mean it has the lowest self noise. Ie, you shouldn't hear any hiss.

The only thing left to do is try the rode with a different interface, but it really sounds like it's just a duffer.

I did try a different interface. I first tried with my Alesis io4 (using various inputs with the same result) and then tried the exact same setup with my Alesis io2 (using both inputs with the same result). Yes, I have phantom power and that is not a problem. By "it's just a duffer", do you mean it sounds like the mic is just bunk?

Bunk, Duffer, Defective... all the same. Sounds like the mic is bad. Can you return it?

If not, do a simple check of the pins. Or, open it up and verify all the wires are connected.

I did chuckle at your World's Quietest Mic joke. :)

But wait a second. You said Macbook. Do you have another computer to connect your interface to? I remember hearing that some Macbooks do not supply enough amperage to the USB port. You might be just getting with your 'other' condenser, but not enough juice for the NT-1. Shot in the dark here.

Borrow your friends PC and give it a try. (Steeno will enjoy that!! :D)

Bunk, Duffer, Defective... all the same. Sounds like the mic is bad.

From the tests done so far, it seems that the mike may be defective.

However, a defective Rode is almost an oxymoron, it is such a rare occurrence.

I would try a few other options first.

One would be as Chili suggested, i.e. going through a different computer.

Another is to test through a conventional mixing desk.

I suspect the 48V is collapsing under the higher than usual, (but by no means excessive!) current draw of the NT-1 of 5.7mA.

Dismantle which ever end of the XLR lead is handiest and plug up. You should get around 28-30V on pins 2/3 to 1.

Oddly we have another thread with a mac/usb/spook juice problem?

Oh! And our Imerican friends call a duffer* a "lemon" (dunno why?) We limeys also have the term, "Friday Afternoon Job", came back to work pissed.

*I would also class myself as an "Old Duffer".
Dave.

I remember hearing that some Macbooks do not supply enough amperage to the USB port.

I can't see that being true but, by all means, try it with a PC if you have one available.
My 2011 MBP offers the standard 5v/500mA.

Of course it also offers firewire for real interfaces. ;)

Yeah, that's it.

I'd be surprised if either of these threads have anything to do with USB bus power, but it'd be nice to know for sure for future reference.
I notice the guy in the other thread has 4 USB devices plugged in.
It could be that the 500mA is actually shared between the four ports, but it seems unlikely.

It's a dead horse, but I never understood why anyone would buy a USB interface, apart from having no other available option.

Yeah, that's it.

I'd be surprised if either of these threads have anything to do with USB bus power, but it'd be nice to know for sure for future reference.
It could be that the 500mA is actually shared between the four ports, but it seems unlikely.

It's a dead horse, but I never understood why anyone would buy a USB interface, apart from having no other available option.

This probably a problem with a device that gets its power from USB. Just bought a TASCAM 1800 and it uses its own power supply (or it at least has one). I have an APC40 controller and it too uses its own power supply. Could be it is only an issue with those units that rely on USB.

From an Apple user perspective, you make a valid point.

I think this is the case when the USB devices are on the same USB hub/controller. But I'm not positively absolutely one-hunnert percent sure.

Yeah, that's it.

I will agree that not giving the option of extra power to a USB AI is a poor show and is about my only criticism of the KA6 (results in feeble phantom power).
It seems a fairly recent lack? My old M-A fastrack pro had a 9V input and the well specc'ed, much missed Emu 0404 USB would only work with a PSU (as does my 8i6) .

As to the "understanding"? It is very nice to just fetch up at the Labour Club jam night with a co-I pair, KA6 and lappy and pair of cans...All I needed. Do not forget, mac laps did not have bus power on FW AFAIK?

Now that USB 3.0 is becoming much more common, most MOBOs have at least 2 ports. Can we hope that the next generation of USB AIs will take advantage of the 0.9A and fit beefier spook supplies and headphone amps? For those really without USB 3, put back the flippin' power socket of yesteryear!

Dave.

As to the "understanding"? It is very nice to just fetch up at the Labour Club jam night with a co-I pair, KA6 and lappy and pair of cans...All I needed. Do not forget, mac laps did not have bus power on FW AFAIK?

Actually, fair point. Mobility did cross my mind after I posted.
My little fire studio mobile is FW bus powered, but I'm not blind; I know that the bus-powered USB options are much more plentiful if mobility is important to you.
I think, maybe, firewire 400 isn't doesn't carry power. It would have been more common on laptops maybe 6-10 years ago?
Haven't seen it in a brave while.

Any 8 channel or more FW interfaces I've had have been mains powered, which I've always thought is the reason we don't get as many phantom hum/buzz threads with FW.

Actually, fair point. Mobility did cross my mind after I posted.
My little fire studio mobile is FW bus powered, but I'm not blind; I know that the bus-powered USB options are much more plentiful if mobility is important to you.
I think, maybe, firewire 400 isn't bus powered. It would have been more common on laptops maybe 6-10 years ago?

Any 8 channel or more FW interfaces I've had have been mains powered, which I've always thought is the reason we don't get as many phantom hum/buzz threads with FW.

As with any engineering there will be compromises, especially when people have sub $100 pockets!

FW 6 pin carried power and a lot of it compared to USB, 12 V at an amp I believe tho' not all systems gave the full specc' I understand? Laptops were almost all 4 pin FW since pulling 12watts would be a bit impractical?

No, you don't see many FW problem threads NOW! I used the past tense above because Fussywire has all but gone but when it was common it was a reet royal PITA for audio. The forums were stuffed with peeps with driver and incompatibility problems. Most of course could be fixed with a Texas Instrument FW chipset but it ws not an option for most laptops. Macs of course were in a different class and almost always worked well with FW, probably contributed to their fame for audio in general?

One things about FW? It did not happen often but you could get a PC/AI hum/data buzz loop and that was the very divil to fix!

Dave.

As with any engineering there will be compromises, especially when people have sub $100 pockets!

FW 6 pin carried power and a lot of it compared to USB, 12 V at an amp I believe tho' not all systems gave the full specc' I understand? Laptops were almost all 4 pin FW since pulling 12watts would be a bit impractical?

Sounds about right. :)

The forums were stuffed with peeps with driver and incompatibility problems. Most of course could be fixed with a Texas Instrument FW chipset but it ws not an option for most laptops. Macs of course were in a different class and almost always worked well with FW, probably contributed to their fame for audio in general?

Well this boils down to the same old story. Do the research and buy the right equipment.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the mac thing. Sure, anything can have problems, but it's a lot harder to buy the wrong gear with a mac.
There's a lot more gear/software/drivers available to MS users and that requires you to engage the brain before buying!

See, I'm a fan of apple computers and I'm a fan of firewire.
Both of those things attract a lot of stick but it's not often someone acknowledges that the two usually work perfectly together.

Broadly speaking it'd be a disappointment if apple USB bus power is a serious limitation but, on the other hand, every modern mac has firewire.

Back