No Sound Out of Condenser Mic

snyerch

Hi:

I'm experimenting for the first time with using a condenser shotgun mic to record audio via the mic jack on a camcorder.

I get total silence. I also get no sound when I plug the microphone into the mic input on my computer, which works with the cheap unpowered microphone with the tiny mic jack that I use for gaming.

My setup: A Neewer NW-320F condenser microphone plugged into a Panasonic HDC-TM90 camcorder. The microphone did not come with a manual. The camcorder manual specifies a "compatible plug-in powered microphone" with no further information.

I have tried every combination of the microphone switched on or off, plugged directly into the camcorder (XLR cable to 1/4" jack to 3.5mm TS jack adapter -- everything but the 3.5mm TS jack adapter came in the box), or plugged into the included battery holder (XLR connections) and thereby into the camcorder (XLR cable to 1/4" jack to 3.5mm TS jack adapter).

I know this kind of microphone typically requires bias power and assumed that might be the function of the battery holder/cable combo that came in the box. So I used a multimeter to verify that (a) all the cables conduct, (b) there are no shorts between prongs on the cables, and (c) I get 48 volts DC out of the battery holder, when using a standard 1.5 V battery. I would expect that the correct way to connect would be (1) Microphone turned on to (2) XLR cable that goes to the battery holder, which has a new battery in it, to (3) another XLR cable, to (4) XLR cable to 1/4" jack converter, to (5) 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack converter, to (6) camcorder or computer. But no sound.

What am I missing here? Do I need yet another piece of equipment in line, such as a preamp? Should I go back and buy a different kind of microphone? If so, how do I know it's the right kind?

The whole point of my <$200 setup including camera is to get as close to professional HD quality as I can with a combination of inexpensive equipment, so please don't recommend me any $300 converter boxes unless there's just no other way.

Condensers require phantom power, which it doesn't sound like it's getting. Sounds to me like you need a preamp with 48v between your mic and camera.

Condensers require phantom power, which it doesn't sound like it's getting. Sounds to me like you need a preamp with 48v between your mic and camera.

He says there's a 48v 'battery holder'. I would suspect the fault is somewhere in the rats nest of adapters to get it to 3.5mm.
Are you sure the 3.5mm camera input is TS, not TRS?

It sounds like you've got everything connected correctly and it should work. Evidently there's a DC to DC converter in the battery holder which gives you the 48v phantom power the mic needs. I have run different types of mics I have into my own camcorder and PC, so if the mic you have is functioning, I would have thought you would have had something going in. I almost believe you might have a dud that's not working. Likely best to return it.
The only thing I might have done differently is the adapter for the stereo trs input of your camcorder. The one you have would only put the mic sound left or right, but not both sides.
The one I use is >>> Microphone Cable - Hosa Technology. Note the diagram of how it's wired.

What are your expectations of usage of a shotgun mic as far as where the mic will be positioned relative to the sound source? To get good sound that does not include much of the room, the mic needs to be fairly close to the source. There are other types of mics which depending on what you're doing may be more appropriate, such as a lavalier (lapel mic).

This is not your mic, but gives an idea of where you might want to locate a shotgun type mic and how distance affects the sound.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMQeAc6EU4

Many thanks, all!

So I have new intelligence on this problem. (A) I do indeed get phantom power out of the mic, but (B) I believe I need a preamp. The mic outputs at about 1/1000th ths level expected for other microphones.

I took it to a Guitar Center to try to find the right tool. The guy there plugged it into a digital recorder and got no audio indication.

Then he plugged it into a sound board and it DID work. It sounded great. The sound board was designed, as most are, to accommodate a condenser mic. Unplugging the XLR connector and using instead the inline battery-powered phantom adapter with the 1/4" jack adapter, he had similar results.

My conclusion: To use a condenser, you need a proper condenser preamp.

Other internet sleuthing today taught me that there is another standard of "plug-in powered microphone" that uses a 3.5mm TSR connector and requires about 1-5V supply. Undoubtedly now, this is what the camcorder expected when the manual said "plug-in powered microphone." So I need a condenser-friendly recorder, preamp, or a good plug-in powered microphone if I want to point a directional mic at people in an environment with some background noise.

So... Anyone know a good affordable portable preamp? I really like this microphone and would prefer to use it rather than go get another camcorder mic that might not be much better than built-in.

From my own experience with both dynamic and battery powered condenser mics I've plugged into a camcorder similar to yours (Canon FS100 and HF R600), you shouldn't need a preamp. In the testing that was done at GC was the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter used (digital recorder)? As Mike suggested perhaps that adapter isn't delivering signal to the camcorders TRS jack properly. I recommend getting the cable I linked in post #4, as you'll need this for any XLR connected mic to have left and right audio.
I looked at the specs for the mic input of the HDC-TM90 and it appears to have adequate gain for a condenser mic > -70 dBV (Mic sensitivity -50 dB equivalent, 0 dB=1 V/Pa, 1 kHz)

Have you looked at the gain settings in the camcorder, either AGC or is it in manual?

Last edited:
Back