Newbie to VO choosing my first Mic

mountypfd

Hello Everyone,

I am just starting in voice over work and I am looking to choose my first mic. I am a deep voiced male. I have narrowed it down to 4. Any advice/opinions/rankings/your choice on these mics is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

AKG C214

Audio Technica AT4050

Studio Projects C1

CAD Equitek E100s

Think about a Shure SM 7. Or maybe Electrovoice RE-20 or RE-27. All good voice over mics.

On your short list I quite like the AKG C214 and have used it for quite a few voice overs--a nice combination of clarity and some warmth. However, from memory it's almost twice the price of the Studio Projects C1 also on your list. The C1 is a good mic for the money but not quite in the same league as the C214. Which mic is closer to your budget?

If you CAN stretch to the C214 price, you really should audition the Neumann TLM102 which has a street price pretty close to the AKG--the TLM102 is a superb mic for voice work--you'd never want an upgrade.

On the other hand, if you're in the C1 ballpark, I strongly recommend the SE Electronics SE2200A. I bought my first a couple of years ago and have since gone back for a couple more--a lovely, smooth sound, nice mix of clarity and warmth and it seems really good at rejecting room noise if your studio isn't perfect.

Finally, depending on the sound you're after, the RE20 (as already mentioned) should be on your list. For me, it's a bit too much about warmth at the expense of clarity--but for a lot of voice over work that can be the sound the people ask for--and end address instead of side address can be handy in some voice booths where the script stand and the mic can fight for space.

Bob

For my budget I was hoping for a Mic for $500 or less. If the ones closer to $500 are much better than a $200-$300 Mic than I would rather spend the extra money.

The ones I posted I got from B&H reviews and on bestcovery's site listing the top 5 condenser mics for $500 or less.

I will definitely be looking into the ones suggested so far and any others suggested as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks for the help.

For my budget I was hoping for a Mic for $500 or less. If the ones closer to $500 are much better than a $200-$300 Mic than I would rather spend the extra money.

The ones I posted I got from B&H reviews and on bestcovery's site listing the top 5 condenser mics for $500 or less.

I will definitely be looking into the ones suggested so far and any others suggested as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks for the help.

Sir you need an EV RE20.

Ah...perhaps I'm being fooled by the difference in prices between the US and down here in the antipodes. For me, the C214 tends to be well above $500 (list at $999 but nearer $600 street) which puts it in a similar range to the Neumann. If you can get it for under $500, that sounds good to me--but the TLM is still a lovely mic. The SE down here is about a 30-50% less than the AKG...but I should stop guessing American prices!

Bob

Ah...perhaps I'm being fooled by the difference in prices between the US and down here in the antipodes. For me, the C214 tends to be well above $500 (list at $999 but nearer $600 street) which puts it in a similar range to the Neumann. If you can get it for under $500, that sounds good to me--but the TLM is still a lovely mic. The SE down here is about a 30-50% less than the AKG...but I should stop guessing American prices!

Bob

In the US they start at $399. and if you shop around some $350. is a good price. Half of what the Neumann 102 is for a price.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Started doing VO for my company and got (predictably) awful results with an MXL V63M. As I am also a bass player, the SM7 is a tempting option. My environment isn't all that ideal so something with good off-axis rejection and low sibilance is preferred.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Started doing VO for my company and got (predictably) awful results with an MXL V63M. As I am also a bass player, the SM7 is a tempting option. My environment isn't all that ideal so something with good off-axis rejection and low sibilance is preferred.

What are you using as a preamp/interface?

That unit may not have enough oomph to do a Shure SM7b justice.

I also have a Behringer Eurorack if that makes a difference. Not positive, but it looks like a UB1222FX-PRO.

Willing to upgrade to a better preamp if the 7MB is the right direction to go.

I see that the EV re20 is getting a few nods. Is there any particular reason for this? What makes it better than the ones I listed? It definitely falls into my price range and has good reviews.

I see that the EV re20 is getting a few nods. Is there any particular reason for this? What makes it better than the ones I listed? It definitely falls into my price range and has good reviews.

If you were to be able to A/B the EV RE20 to the ones on your list you would soon know why.

Hmmm...I think it depends what you're after.

The RE20 is very much the "American" radio sound so it might be exactly what the OP wants, depending on location. However, to my ear (after 30+ years outside North America) it always sound a bit TOO warm and lacking in crispness and clarity to me. I'm sure it's all down to what you want.

However, if you go for a good dynamic, make sure you also have a good pre-amp to provide enough "ooomph" to do it justice.

Bob

Then there is the new EV RE320 with additional switch to make it more friendly for crisp vocal takes or switch it for instant kick drum microphone.

mountypfd, are you an actor?

If you're not and you're trying to get into VO, you should spend money on lessons before equipment. Technique and learning how to audition are far more important at this stage, and you can only learn those things from a coach.

Good luck.

mountypfd, are you an actor?

If you're not and you're trying to get into VO, you should spend money on lessons before equipment. Technique and learning how to audition are far more important at this stage, and you can only learn those things from a coach.

Good luck.

Thanks CC NYC. I actually have taken lessons and cut a demo in a recording studio. Now I am trying to set up my own home studio so I can audition online and practice with better equipment than my hand held voice recorder.

Thanks CC NYC. I actually have taken lessons and cut a demo in a recording studio. Now I am trying to set up my own home studio so I can audition online and practice with better equipment than my hand held voice recorder.

OK, good.

The SM7B and RE-20/27 are great options (I prefer the SM7B), especially if your room isn't perfect. Make some money with a dynamic mic, and use the money for room treatment... and then start looking at condenser mics. (Always keep the dynamic, though... don't trade it in.)

And don't forget decent monitors -- if a VO track sounds good to you on computer speakers, there's probably something wrong with it.

Back