newbie needs somethin simple

spock

whats up. im looking at spending $80-100 on a new mic, so obviously i don't need anything fancy. i'm going to record bass, guitar, and vocals directly into my PC. just looking for something simple, inexpensive, but with decent quality. i know NOTHING about mics, i'm totally new to this stuff, so i appreciate any recomendations or advice.

Shure SM58 will probably do the trick for all of those.
If you have phantom power on your audio interface, you can try a Oktava 319 or Studio Projects B1.
Hope this helps

For what you want to do, I would choose a 57 over a 58. Both are good choices though. The 57 is more instrument oriented than the 58. I've had a couple of each type for several years and find myself using the 57's more for recording and the 58's more for live vocals. Either way, see if you can find 'em used for $50-$65 (USD). Whichever one shows up for sale first, go for it.

What kind of mic pre an/or mixer are you using?
Is it acoustic guitar and electric?

The cheapest upgrade from a SM58 is usually the SM57.
It's clearer sounding for vocals, for example.

The B1 is an excellent choice IMHO if you have phantom power available,
and will "mate" with budget pre's/mixers better than the fussier Shures.

Chris

i don't have any pres or mixers, i plug my current cheapo mic straight into my soundcard. will that be ok for the SM57?

thanks for the help BTW.

It's a dynamic mic, not a condenser, so it doesn't need phantom power. It'll work.

Back