Newbie looking for a microphone

GuyWithSocks

Good day everybody,
I am in need of a microphone. I would need one that would be good for vocals, podcasting and speaking in general. Then I would need another one which would be for my brother who would use it mainly for rapping. My budget is 500 bucks for both. Thanks for everybody who is willing to help me out.

500 bucks will buy you one excellent mic that will work for both purposes.

One mic to rule them all...

bucks US ? Aussie?
interface or USB?

I live in Europe, but I assumed it will be easier to say the currency in US dollars. About the interface or USB...I have no idea about that I am absolute newbie in this field.

500 bucks will buy you one excellent mic that will work for both purposes.

One mic to rule them all...

But I need two microphones, one for me and one for my brother and I have 500 US dollars for that purpose.

I live in Europe, but I assumed it will be easier to say the currency in US dollars. About the interface or USB...I have no idea about that I am absolute newbie in this field.

If you want to use a standard microphone, you will plug it into an interface which will then connect to a computer via USB or Firewire. Some microphones can be plugged directly into a USB port. This might be a good choice for someone who will only be doing podcasting or similar, but it will severely limit you in the future if you want to expand your horizons as you will be stuck with just that one microphone.

GuyWithSocks said:
But I need two microphones, one for me and one for my brother and I have 500 US dollars for that purpose.

So, either you and your brother will be recording in separate locations or in the same location at the same time and you need to be on two different tracks, right? You can still get two great mics for $500 US in the US. But your prices in Europe for those same mics might be different. My recommendation would be any good dynamic microphone, there are zillions of choices in that category. The $25 Behringer XM8500 has been reported to work very well for voice, the Shure SM58 and beta58 (or similar from other manufacturers) are good options, higher end dynamics that are reported to work well for aggressive rap styles like the Shure SM7b, Electro Voice RE20/RE27/RE320, or Sennheiser MD421 will run upwards of $300 each.

Any info you get from me is pretty much just my uneducated, inexperienced, arrogant opinion. No one has experience with every microphone on the planet. Some have come close.
Look through the threads here in the microphone sections and read as much as you can.

If you want to use a standard microphone, you will plug it into an interface which will then connect to a computer via USB or Firewire. Some microphones can be plugged directly into a USB port. This might be a good choice for someone who will only be doing podcasting or similar, but it will severely limit you in the future if you want to expand your horizons as you will be stuck with just that one microphone.

So, either you and your brother will be recording in separate locations or in the same location at the same time and you need to be on two different tracks, right? You can still get two great mics for $500 US in the US. But your prices in Europe for those same mics might be different. My recommendation would be any good dynamic microphone, there are zillions of choices in that category. The $25 Behringer XM8500 has been reported to work very well for voice, the Shure SM58 and beta58 (or similar from other manufacturers) are good options, higher end dynamics that are reported to work well for aggressive rap styles like the Shure SM7b, Electro Voice RE20/RE27/RE320, or Sennheiser MD421 will run upwards of $300 each.

Any info you get from me is pretty much just my uneducated, inexperienced, arrogant opinion. No one has experience with every microphone on the planet. Some have come close.
Look through the threads here in the microphone sections and read as much as you can.

Thanks only one I could find here was the Shures and Sennheiser, no Electro voice. Also when I mentioned my budget I was kinda hoping I wouldnt spend all of it and could get few tips from all sorts of price ranges.

Okay, do some mixing and matching so you and your brother can swap mics depending you your projects:

First, get THIS combo. For podcasting and speech, the Reflexion filter will REALLY help your quality--nothing worse than speech in an untreated room with a computer running in the background. The sE mic has a lovely sound at a very reasonable price.

Second, for rapping hand held or live, get your brother THIS[/URL mic. It has a really nice sound and, in Europe, is better value than an [URL=https://en.audiofanzine.com/dynamic-microphone/shure/sm58/user_reviews/]SM58 or other Shure mics which are over priced when outside the USA. If this is too much money, look at the Sennheiser e835 or e825 which are also good value for a bit less money. They might also work for your speech stuff when your brother wants the sE for a quieter track.

Finally, to plug either of the above into a computer for recording, you need one of THESE or something similar (I just happen to know this one). Obviously, you'll have to share the interface!

Even for live, the SM58 might not be the best bet. Don't forget, the OP is in Europe where Shure mics cost nearly double what they do in the States. At $80, it's good value. At nearly $160, it's in a price range were there are lots of alternatives, many sounding better than the 45 year old SM58 design.

Are you talking live sound or studio? If live, get a SM58.

Its actually for home recording, so I am not sure where to put it from the categories you posted.

Even for live, the SM58 might not be the best bet. Don't forget, the OP is in Europe where Shure mics cost nearly double what they do in the States. At $80, it's good value. At nearly $160, it's in a price range were there are lots of alternatives, many sounding better than the 45 year old SM58 design.

I will look into it, thanks for the tip.

Back