new tube mic

deepwater

My new CAD VSM will arrive today and I need to know if I need to doing anything special. Should I let the tube burn in for a few hours or something?

My NTK and Groove Tubes MD1b both sound better after warming up for about 20 minutes each time I use 'em. You don't need to "burn in" a new tube mic, but let it warm up every time you use it. I'm excited for ya man!!!

Dude,
You haven't even used it yet!
It uses a 12ax7....I guess if you wanted to stick in some NOS GE, RCA, or Mullrad it might sound different...might not be better though, might be, but might not be.

what's that mic go for? It looks like the cheapest tube mic is $300. then they take off straight up. That's the only reason it's last on my acquisition list.

Are there any LDC omni tube mics? Thats the Q for me now that I just got a non-tube one of those....

I have a bunch of NOS tubes. of all of them, the "holy grail" is the mullard CV4004. their nicknamed "boxplates" due to their unique box plate design. duh. :)

I dont have telefunkens or amperex's, they would be great too. but you have to be careful there are alot of relabled tele's and amps floating around.

but GE and RCA are also really really nice and low price. I love them in my guitar amps.

that said, there ARE current production tubes that are actually really decent. JJ tesla, EH (made by sovtek), TAD (cherry picked chinese tubes), Ei.

Back