New small diaphragm condensers.

Re-tox_stl

Hi guys. So I am looking to expand my microphone arsenal, and I figured a new pair of SDC's would be a good place to start (I currently own: Akg c3000 x2, sm57 x3, Audio technica Atm25 x2, Studio projects b1, sm7b, shure super 55, and a pair of behringer c2's). The behringers are damn good for only costing me $50, but I know I can get something much better. The main purpose of these will be to record acoustic guitar and as drum overheads. I have been checking out the rode nt-5's, EV Pl37, or the Audio technica pro 37. I have heard good and horrible things about both, so I just want to know what you all think. Also feel free to suggest any other mic's that you personally like. Thanks!

Drew

I have had a love/hate relationship with the NT-5 since I got it in 2004. I just recently got omni heads for them and now I just have a love relationship with the NT-5. Their cardiod is not what I'm looking for, but the omni is great!

Whatever SDC you get, I'd recommend getting the cardiod and omni caps for them. You'll find a ton of uses for the omni. And people will say you have to have a good room for omnis to sound good...sorta true...but I've found as long as you don't have a bad room the omnis will be fine. The room needs to be at least decent.

haha, that's what you get when you don't put a budget in the post. I kinda gathered from the ones you mentioned that you were looking for something in the lower range. And, just to repeat myself and most everyone else here, get the Oktavas and spring for both the capsules. Of the lower end stuff these are the best. They are more expensive than most of the other low end stuff, but I've found them to be the best on acoustics, as overheads, and as room mics.

yeah I keep forgetting the Oktavas are more expensive now. They used to be as cheap as anything at the bottom of the barrel.

You have the omni swap out option with the Oktavas as well!

. . . and more (and more) capsules and options. They're really an excellent mic system.

BTW, those CAD217 mics are currently on sale at MF for 2 for $50---but will they actually be any different than the Behris that you now have? The Oktavas will be different---and they will be keepers until something truly outrageous comes along. Even then, you'll probably pass them on to a beloved friend.

I guess that's a +1 for the Oktavas.

Paj
8^)

P.S.: I also love my cheeky little Naiants!

Back