New Shure KSM27 vocal mic...???

bloozguy

Okay...gee, want a new lighter more portable amp, and get rid of my Peavey beast 800. Want a new harmonica mic. A new Headrush AKAI pedal, want, want,want.....

so....more bang for my buck. I'm guilty of recording vocals on my Cakewalk with a Shure 57....yet, it doesn't sound too bad, and perhaps I was able to get away with it being that my stuff is more blues and folk oriented, or the Cakewalk nuances are more forgiving. Yet...it lacks some of the warmth and presence that I think my cd's could have.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to work with the new Shure KSM27...???

I've been told by some music retailers that its hard to keep in stock right now, and that many home recorders are loving it. Not bad at $299 either....so, taking into consideration of my wants and limited funds, and that I'm not going to buy a $700-$2000 vocal recording mic, what does anyone think of this mic versus any other lower priced mic?

I've heard that you could use it in live applications as well for gigs.

bloozguy....

I haven't worked with the KSM27 specifically, but I can tell you that the other KSMs, the 32 and the 44 are very well made, good-sounding, and usable microphones. I'd have no reason to suspect that the 27 is any different in terms of build quality or value.

Sound-wise, the KSMs seem to have a very crisp, detailed, present sound. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, i.e. they do not have the "Neumann-esque" warmth that many ppl like on vocals. They have a very nice sound indeed, but not that particular kind of very nice sound. Depends on what you're looking for.

In that price range, they're basically going head to head with the Studio Projects C1 and the Rode NT1000, both of which are also very good microphones for the money. I haven't personally used either of these mics, but a quick search on the BBS should bring up lots of info on both of them.

-Frank

Back