New Rode NT1 making funny noises

dobbin45

Hello,
recently bought a NT1 with a q802usb mixer
Unfortunately while even trying to talk, there is alot of noise.
vocaroo.com/i/s1DxqhgiP1s7 - recording to the problem, both level and gain are on 50%

I have tried leaving it somewhere warm over night and also the use of a hair driver but these did not work
I am waiting to get another XLR cable to see if that is the issue, but if anyone have any ideas please help! :D

Many thanks

The specs for that mixer are essentially non-existent but besides swapping cables (try the USB, too), trying a different condenser mic to see if it behaves the same is the next obvious substitution, followed by the mixer/interface, to determine where the fault lies.

It sounds almost like wind noise. Do you have the compressor knobs turned down all the way?

Not sure what you are trying to do, but from what I gleaned from some online reviews, the interface is strictly one-way, i.e., from the mixer to the computer, so it's a pretty limited device for home recording.

FWIW q802usb specs:

Mic EIN: -129/-131 dB (A weighted)
S/R: 110 db (A)
gain: 60 dB

Pretty respectable. Unless it's defective, of course. I don't expect these preamps to hiss a lot, especially with a high output mic like an NT1.

Do you have another mic to test?

unfortunately I do not have another XLR mic to test it
ive twisted the compressor nob down to 0 which does help a bit, but the wind noise is still there.
maybe the mic is faulty?

Whit mo mic connected and gain up, is the mixer noisy?

If not, it seems the NT1 might be defective.

Contact Rode. They have very good customer service. When you connect an NT1 you should hear effectively no noise.

The spectrum does not show any of the usual "USB 16 bit crap" that results from a poorly setup Windows sound system and yes, could be the XLR cable, a bad joint in the screen would cause the crackle and I hear distortion on the voice (or you have had a VERY bad/good night!)

General rule for 'tronics chap? ALWAYS have spare cables. They are cheap enough these days.

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrumnt1.png
    Spectrumnt1.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
My guess is a bad connection from the xlr connectors which causes static because of the phantom power, a bad quality cable can cause this too. I occasionally get this noise in my studio and a spray of contact cleaner on all the xlr's usually fixes it.

Also the microphone could have condensation from humidity, place the mic in a warm dry place for a day and see if it fixes it.

Alan

You have to use Dead cat Cover of the Microphone. I am using it and it is repelling most of the noises and external noise now.

Last edited:
Back