New To Recording, Have a Few Questions

brianm51

First off, hello! Good to find this forum, hopefully it'll be helpful.

Second, here's the deal. I've been interested in all things audio for quite a while now. I recently moved to a very secluded part of the country (southwest North Dakota) and figured that it would be a great opportunity to do some ambient recording. So I picked myself up an Audio-Technica AT825. It's in great shape and got it for a steal. It came with a Presonus Fierbox which is mostly useless to me due to none of my computers having firewire ports. I tried hooking up some headphones to it tho to mess around with the mic, but didn't have any luck. I'm not getting any sound output even with phantom power on. Before you ask, the mic does work. I tested it on a different system and it sounds AMAZING.

Now here's my question. Is it likely that the firebox is just dead? Or is there something else going on that I'm just not picking up on?

Also, any advice? Is anybody else into ambient recording?

Thanks in advance!

*edit*
Now that I posted this, I realize that it ended up being more about the firebox than it did about the mic...so this may not be the right section for it.

I'm pretty sure the Firebox needs to be connected to a computer to make the input monitoring work.

I have an AT822 that I use as an audience mic when multitracking live music. It's quite nice but the XLR output of the 825 would be even nicer. I also have an AT9400, the plastic bodied predecessor of the 822 and 825, which I used for ambient recording back in the 90s.

Ah, I suppose that would make sense. Thinking about picking up either a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or an ART USB Dual Pre. The ART has close to the same ratings as the Focusrite does for nearly half the price, but the Focusrite appears to be generally better quality.

Still debating between the two.

I'm glad that I seem to have made a good choice as far as a mic goes. Truth be told, it was some what of a very briefly researched impulse buy.

Back