new mics anytime soon?

cristerb

Just found out I want to get a new condenser mic. Been looking through the forum and found out that the shure KSM 44, looks like a great mic. (will be used mostly on vokal and acoustic guitar)

My question is: How often do Shure( or any other company) come out with new mics? I saw the reviews for the KSM 44 were from 2001.. well its almost 2005. thats a few years. So when you you excpect them to release a new KSM model? I know nobody really know.. but anyway.

Thanks in advance.

mmm. newer models means improvements. (usually) Was just wondering.

Another thing..

Ive read.. (i live in a snall city, so can´t test them myself) that the KSM 44 and the KSM 27 sound much alike. Have anyone tested both? Is the 44 worth the extra bucks? what are the main diffrence? Thanks again

mmm. newer models means improvements. (usually) Was just wondering.

cristerb,
Concerning mics, the best and most coveted mics are very old, not new. There are many mic makers that spend much of their R&D trying to recreate the sound of these old mics.

slobbermonster said:
cristerb,
Concerning mics, the best and most coveted mics are very old, not new. There are many mic makers that spend much of their R&D trying to recreate the sound of these old mics.

Slobbermonster,

Are you saying that very old used mics are better than new ones? I was under the belief that old mics do not perform as well as new ones? Don't the diaphragms or ribbons degrade over time?

cristerb said:
mmm. newer models means improvements. (usually)

Maybe in terms of lowering cost of manufacturing. Unfortunately, this has been the trend, rather than improved quality of product -- and this has pretty much been going on with everything over the last 20 years or so. The golden age of manufacturing was going on when I was a kid.

I still have old stereo equipment from the mid 70's that works and sounds great. The crap you kids are buying today will be out on the curb within the next 10 years, I'd guess. You may have heard the old addage: They don't make 'em like they used to.

Ive read.. (i live in a snall city, so can´t test them myself) that the KSM 44 and the KSM 27 sound much alike. Have anyone tested both? Is the 44 worth the extra bucks? what are the main diffrence?

From what I gather, the ksm-44 is the superior model. The 27 is a pretty good for the price, as most shure mics are, but it's not a cardiod-only version of the 44, if that's what you were wondering.

this is truly sad :(

Do as much reading on microphones as you can, the older mics, of a certain type and vintage are THE shiznit. New mics can be cool, and there are some new mics that will be cool forever, but newer isnt always better, especially when it comes to mics, consoles, cars and other things

I would choose the KSM32

as my next LDC mic. For my ears it does as good as anything for the price on acoustic. I don't think the 27 would last in my locker, where the 32 would last for a long time.

Well, price/performance is a feature, and a good one. But that is the direction mic improvements have been going on for some time. After all the physics of converting sound into electricity has nor had any new technologies for some time. But in fact most mics have long product cycles compared to a lot of other electronic products. How long has the SM 57 been around?

t_chance said:
as my next LDC mic. For my ears it does as good as anything for the price on acoustic. I don't think the 27 would last in my locker, where the 32 would last for a long time.

I like the 27 a lot, but not on guitar.

What was the poster's application? Did I miss that?

Also there's been an interesting thread over at the Lab on this prospective mic company:

http://www.violet-design.com/

Slobbermonster,

Are you saying that very old used mics are better than new ones? I was under the belief that old mics do not perform as well as new ones? Don't the diaphragms or ribbons degrade over time?
Depends on the materials and how they were cared for. That's why there are guys around who restore, repair, recapsule, reribbon and so forth. Not all old mics are better, some were pure crap just like some mics are today, but I'd rather have a Ela M 251 or U-47 over most anything built today with the exception of a handful of "boutique" mics that come close to being as good.

chessrock said:
Maybe in terms of lowering cost of manufacturing. Unfortunately, this has been the trend, rather than improved quality of product
And a good example is the Rode NT1. However, a good example of "newer models means improvements" is the SP C1.

It seems some companies get it right the first time and cut corners later... and some companies work the bugs out later... while some companies just make good products all the time.

DJL said:
And a good example is the Rode NT1. However, a good example of "newer models means improvements" is the SP C1.

It seems some companies get it right the first time and cut corners later... and some companies work the bugs out later... while some companies just make good products all the time.

DJL,

You believe the newer NT1s (I believe they are now called NT1A) are not the same quality (i.e. lesser quality) as the older NT1s?

My first LDC was a NT1. I used it on everything. I bought it on the recommendations from the posters in the Roland VS880 BBS years ago. It’s a shame if they have dropped the quality of those mics. When I bought it there were many people claiming it was a great bang-for-the-buck mic.

John

I think Royer is a great example of a company that has taken older technologies and modernized them somewhat, making improvements to them through newer technologies we have available today.

JohnnyMan said:
DJL,

You believe the newer NT1s (I believe they are now called NT1A) are not the same quality (i.e. lesser quality) as the older NT1s?

My first LDC was a NT1. I used it on everything. I bought it on the recommendations from the posters in the Roland VS880 BBS years ago. It’s a shame if they have dropped the quality of those mics. When I bought it there were many people claiming it was a great bang-for-the-buck mic.

John
The first Rode NT1's were better than the second generation Rode NT1's. I'm talking about NT1's here, not the Rode NT1A's.

Back