A new mic for my jazz quartet

fortress1w

Starting a home studio, got some great gear, good space, but need some more mics with a limited budget (not too limited), suggestions please...

These are the instruments:
Trumpet, Archtop Guitar, Drums, Electric Bass.

These are the Current mics:
Drums:Shure Beta 52(kick), Shure SM 57(snare), (2) matched MXL 603's for overheads

Trumpet: Shure KSM 27

Guitar (amped): Shure SM 57

Bass: direct (most of the time)

Its enough to get mic everything but if I were to take the next step in getting a more professional and versitale microphone collection what should be at the top of my list?

You already have professional mics, so don't fret. Do you record any vocals?

Han's ribbon suggestion is good, but be aware that a ribbon will sound VERY different than a KSM27. It will pull your sound in a mellow direction.

fortress1w said:
Starting a home studio, got some great gear, good space, but need some more mics with a limited budget (not too limited), suggestions please...

These are the instruments:
Trumpet, Archtop Guitar, Drums, Electric Bass.

These are the Current mics:
Drums:Shure Beta 52(kick), Shure SM 57(snare), (2) matched MXL 603's for overheads

Trumpet: Shure KSM 27

Guitar (amped): Shure SM 57

Bass: direct (most of the time)

Its enough to get mic everything but if I were to take the next step in getting a more professional and versitale microphone collection what should be at the top of my list?
Two mics that I would add to your mic locker are the Beyer M201, and the Sennheiser MD421 and use them everywhere you'd use the SM57 and then some... in fact, these mics will work on every instrument you've got and more... oh, and I don't know how much Hi-Hat work you guys do, but the Shure SM81 is my favorite HH mic.

I would suggest a Royer ribbon mic. An R121 if you have a preamp with enough gain, and a 122 if you don't. These sound amazing on brass and guitar cabs, Overhead and room mic for certain kits/rooms/sounds. They can also be a nice vintage warm sounding vocal mic if you reverse the phase and use the backside, but certainly not what I would consider a "go to" vocal mic.

The ribbon mic for the trumpet has certainly been considered in depth.

I will eventually be recording vocals, and I think the KSM27 would cover that nicely.

Any suggestions for a bass cab mic?

Djl

How would you characterise the sound of the sm81 on HH? Bright, mellow, neutral? What is it about that mic that makes it especially good for HH?

And I would have thought someone would have had another preference for a jazz archtop sound. No?

Thanks

Cardioidpotent... "Neutral". The SM81 handles HH peaks and etc good and captures the real sound of the HH without coloring it... that is what I like about the SM81 on HH.

Your welcome, and it's ok.... but the funny thing about drums is, if there is a mic in the same room as the drums, the drums are going to get into it some no matter which way it's pointed or how good the off-axis rejection is... lol.

Back