New (to me) mic day and polar 8 question.

fuzzsniffvoyage

Got a M-Audio Sputnik. My 1st tube mic, any advice?

Could you turn a mic set in polar 8 sideways in front of a sound source and get a "stereo" image?

I'm going to be trying it as soon as I'm able. (Broken leg, having a bitch of a time getting around studio in wheelchair)

I'm a bit jealous. I had one on order (backordered) from B&H for about 6 months. They finally sent me an email saying that they could no longer get any. A very popular tube mic.

As far as pointing a figure 8 pattern sideways to a source, by itself, no. In conjunction with an additional cardiod mic though, you have a mid/side setup going on.

cool mic EM gave it a 5 of 5...
first thing i checked out is the heat and hanging it upside down but I guess thats not required.

If this is a fixed pattern mic, you aim one side of the 8 at the thing you want to record, and hope only nice things from the room get picked up by the other side. Or, you turn it sideways for the S part of a M-S recording with a 2nd mic, as [MENTION=3479]Track Rat[/MENTION] says.

My opinion and limited experience is that this pattern is best used in a space that has good sound qualities, or you really like slapback.

Back