Neumann U89 or U87

j0nas

I'm soon about to make my biggest home recording investment, but before I do that I'd like some input from you. Should I buy the U89 or the U87? (U87 is another $100) It is for recording (pop/rock) vocals and all kind of acoustic instruments (guitars and maybe drums).

I'm leaning towards the U89, if not U87 sounds better on vocals.

Thanks.

Save your money. If you don't know enough about the two mics to be able to make a purchasing decision on your own, I don't think you're ready for a microphone of such expense. Do you know how many Shure SM57s, Marshall V67s, 603s's, C3s, MD421 MKII's, etc. you could buy with that money?

Isaiah

I want it, I want it, I want it....

I have read both spec's and I have pretty much made up my mind in buying the U89 (I know--I get about 21 sm57:s for the same price). I have used the U89 mic once, but never the U87. Anyway, which do you prefer?

Alternatives

Have you considered some of the more middle of the road mics. There not cheap in price or sound, and you'll find them in many top rated studios and pro recordings. Here are some to look at:

Audio Technica 4050 $799 U.S.
Audio Technica 4060 $1199 U.S.
Nuemann TLM 103 $799 U.S.
Blue Blueberry $999 U.S.
Blue Dragonfly $799 U.S.
AKG C414 B-ULS $799 U.S.

Hope this helps... Bigbear

TLM 103 is a very nice sounding mic, but I want to be able to switch patterns (at least omni and cardioid). That is possible with C414 B-ULS, but I don't like the sound. I think it sounds too bright.

I don't have any experience with the other mics from your list. I've heard good things about the AT4050, but I don't know...

Jonas,

I have a matched stereo pair of U87s and will warn you that even though they are great mics, unless you have a highend mic-pre to go with it, you will be much better off using the cash and splitting it between a good mic-pre and a couple decent mics. (like a V7 or C3, one of each.)

Also, let me warn you that when you have that much invested in a microphone, you will have a heart attack everytime some singer gets a little too energetic. Therefore, you need to invest in some heavy duty studio mic stands, (not the standard stuff.)

Now your investment has just climbed to a lot more money than just buying the mic.

Owning these type of mics, (at least in my opinion), is like adopting a kid. You will go to extreme lengths to take care of them since they are a significant investment.

Of course, you may be independently wealthy, so in that case, enjoy the mics.

J0nas, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Studio Projects T3.
Based on the listening CD I just got from them it's simply amazing
and it costs a lot less than the Neumanns. Using the money saved to
buy a good mic pre is also a great idea!

The U-89 was designed to be a more techinically perfect U-87. They succeeded in improving the balance of off-axis response for more even sound, but the 89 doesn't sound much like the 87. The 87 isn't perfect for everything, but it rarely sucks, and it takes manipulation from good eq better than most other mics, so it's incredibly flexible, and thus a standard. The U-89 just hasn't impressed as many people. I'm not sure it's necessarily bad, it just doesn't seem better. YMMV.

Bear

Right on Sonic Misfit!

The above comments regarding a solid mic preamp are right on the money, along with the fact that a good preamp will almost certainly double your investment.

Jonas, with regard to your comment about the C 414 sounding bright, I've noticed that many high end mics give that impression when listening to them solo, while many lower priced mics have a boomy quality. However, once in the mix, that seeming brittle quality becomes shimmer and definition, while the boomier sound of the cheaper mics becomes mud.

That isn't to say that the C 414 doesn't sound especially bright, because under certain circumstances it can. It's just that that high end definition is usually a plus.

Just my humble opinion... Bigbear

Thank you very much for all replies.

After all great input from all of you, I will actually reconsider my initially decision on buying a U87/89 mic.

The preamp issue: Ok, I was aware of the importance of a good mic preamp, but maybe not enough. I was first thinking of getting the preamp after I purchased the mic. Now, I will probably evaluate a preamp and a good mic, all together. I’m thinking of the TL Audio 5050 (mono) preamp. What do you think?

The mic issue: I’m going to try out the AT4050 and the AKG C414 B-ULS (again). Both these mic’s cost (a lot) less than U89/87, so I will probably get two microphones. I think I’ll get more freedom with two different mic’s, especially on vocals. So, here is what I am going to try together with the above mic preamp:
1. AT4050 + Studio Projects C1
2. AKG C414 B-ULS + Studio Projects C1
3. AT4050 + TLM 103
4. AKG C414 B-ULS + TLM 103

Thanks,
Jonas

Re: Right on Sonic Misfit!

bigbear said:

Jonas, with regard to your comment about the C 414 sounding bright, I've noticed that many high end mics give that impression when listening to them solo, while many lower priced mics have a boomy quality. However, once in the mix, that seeming brittle quality becomes shimmer and definition, while the boomier sound of the cheaper mics becomes mud.

......Huuuuge generalization.

The NT2, KSM44, AT4050, rode NT1000, C3, and many others in the $500 range and less dont sound boomy at all, have incrdible definition, clarity and the same bright top end as the $2k mics. Its kind of childish at this point to buy a U87, given its total impact on sound quality and given the alternatives.

Jonas, dont forget good cable.

JuSumPilgrim

Sorry about the huge generalization. I should have been more specific about what I meant by cheaper mics, because many of those you mentioned in your post are the mics I was refering to when I talked about higher end mics (i.e. the 4050 and KSM44). In my earlier post to this thread I did specifically list several mics in the $500 to $1000 range which I felt fit the definition of a high end mic.

I do feel though, that once you break the $500 mark, quality can quickly become an issue. Right now, the market is flooded with cheap large diaphram condenser mics that claim to sound as good as a Neumann and for only $200.

I hope the day comes when $200 mics can reproduce the sound and quality of the U87, but so far, in my opinion, that day has yet to arrive.

Bigbear

Hej Jonas,

How are you up there in Sweden? I would go with an AKG C414B-ULS and the TLM 103 personally--your #4 setup. The reason is that the C414B-ULS has four different polar patterns with TWO pads and TWO rolloff positions. You will also keep the resale value of this investment too. The U89 is a nice mic but I would go with a microphone that has proven itself and that has been improved over the course of time it has been available in the marketplace. Stick with the legendary, not the upstarts!:cool:

I am walking a fine line here, but here it goes anyway. The C414 is extremely bright mic, actually it has too much high end. It is not really a smooth high end, and it seems to always require you rolling off the top end at 12k. I am all for high end, but not to the point of being harsh. The new 414's are just not the same as the older ones. They use a different capsule as well as different electronics.

If you really want a C414, look to an older C414E, the nickle colored ones, they are much better on the high end and more natural than the new ones. I have a lot of experience with both the new ones, and the older ones.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

I worked in a studio that had a Neuman TLM193. I was very impressed with the top end of this mike especially on vocals and it was cheaper I understand than the others. It just didn't have any pattern change. fixed cardiod.

anyone used one of these??

cheers
john

totally!

alanhyatt said:

If you really want a C414, look to an older C414E, the nickle colored ones, they are much better on the high end and more natural than the new ones. I have a lot of experience with both the new ones, and the older ones.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Here's what you do:

Follow Tom Lord-Alge around, everywhere he goes. Since he doesn't produce anymore and just mixes maybe one or two will fall out of his pocket hehe

Seriously though, you have to be a really good chicken hawk to find one of the older ones wouldn't you say Alan?

nP

Locker full of SM57s

Jonas,

Back to your original inclination: "Should I buy the U89 or the U87?" Why not go with what you like, if this is the sound you want?

Prism asked, "Do you know how many Shure SM57s, Marshall V67s, 603s's, C3s, MD421 MKII's, etc. you could buy with that money?" But that's not the point. If you're not going to use these mic's, they're just a lot of stuff. You don't need a locker full of SM57's. In the end, you may spend 2K on 'Shure SM57s, Marshall V67s, 603s's, C3s, MD421 MKII's' just to confirm your first choice.

Back