Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is a neumann u87 worth it

Rocket Boy is offline Force of Nature

is a neumann u87 worth it

Sign in to disable this ad
    are they worth how much they cost. how would you describe the sound of them? is it better to get a few cheaper mics to have variety, or is that just for people who dont want to shell out of the money for really great mics?

thanks...

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Yes, they are worth the $1500 or so you can get them on ebay for, but not the $2700 or so they want to retail it for. Question #2- If I was building a microphone cabinet, I'd probably choose some cheap mics that work, some mid priced mics that work, and eventually whatever kickass mic makes my voice sound good.
    What is it good for? It's a very versatile mic that is good for vocals, acoustic guitar, and even percussion, if you're brave enough to put it in the way of a drumstick. If you are looking for the Neumann sound, and versatility, instead of buying a used U87ai on ebay, consider Soundelux ifet7. Really-

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mercenar...eluxifet7.html

Good luck-Richie
    P.S- You asked what it sounds like- It's clear, with a high midrange boost, just like many cheap vocal mics. Why? because those cheap mics are all trying to sound like a Neumann U87! The difference is, the Neumann doesn't sound like a cheap vocal mic.
    You know, you can put Christie Brinkley and Anna Nicole in the same little black dress, and one of them willl still be trashy, the other, a supermodel.

bgavin is offline Force of Nature
    But which one swallows the mic, so to speak?

c7sus is offline Disenfranchised Member
    How much does it cost to get Christie Brinkley to act trashy?

She won't need the little black dress, either. Just some opera pumps/hose/& garters will do just fine............. maybe a highly boned-corset!!!!!!!
    "By the time these guys are finished people will be clamoring for death panels so they can petition for a mercy killing."

Tiz Walstib

I dont know after all Brinkly ruined Billy Joels music...I wonder how he would sound with Anna?

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    BTW, Anna Nicole uses a U87! -Richie

bgavin is offline Force of Nature
    Now that is a visual...

DJL
    DJL is offline Self Banned

Re: is a neumann u87 worth it

Originally posted by Rocket Boy
    "are they worth how much they cost."

I think they're wroth the cost.

"how would you describe the sound of them?"

Good

"is it better to get a few cheaper mics to have variety, or is that just for people who dont want to shell out of the money for really great mics?"

Get both.
    One of the things I like the most about hr.com is reading what everyday people like you and I have experienced with products as opposed to reading what the manufacturers want us to read about their products.

darnold is offline 1K Silver Member

Cool

Definately a great mic. Just tried it on horns for my band, and it worked great. Although i did cut at 3kz on them. Worked out great.

But it might not be worth it unless you have a good preamp to go along with it.

Danny

tonyA is offline Senior Member

How important is it?

I guess what the question really is asking for is how IMPORTANT will your recording be that requires a great mic at whatever expense. Consider for a moment that your band is finishing up an album and all the backing tracks are complete except the vocal track since all you have with your recordings are nothing but scratch vocal tracks. You would probably get the warmest tube mic preamp that matches your voice and if you couldn't afford it, you would probably rent a U87 just for that purpose for that extra oomph in your recording, wouldn't you? I would (well knowing how my voice sounds, I need all the help I could get). But remember, try them before you buy, the best mic may not be the best match for your voice. I myself use a beta 57 instead of a large condenser since the clarity of my condensers emphasize certain "scratchy" nuances in my voice that a dynamic mic hides, notwitstanding it is not too accurate, somewhat "muffled", not as smooth and warm (compared to a condenser).
    "For God so love the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information