Neumann TLM 103 or AKG C414 BXLS

Wingpen

I am about to purchase 2 new OH's for my studio and I'm looking for peoples opinions, comparisons, differences between these two mics.

In the next few weeks we are going to move all our equipment for a few days to a warehouse which has lots of rooms, big and small, so I can take advantage of a nice space to record the drums in.

any opinions will be much appreciated.

Cheers

I consider the 414 to be, for most purposes, the better mic, if only for it's multipolar versatility, and for its multi-level pads and bass rolloffs There are reasons why the 414 is a standard fixture in pro studios and TLM103 isn't. As an overhead, the 414 rocks. It is also a wicked mic on acoustic guitar and a bunch of percussion. It is a stunning vocal mic, but only for a minority of vocalists. On some singers (Celine Dion, for instance) it's the right mic. For others (Meatloaf), it's not. It is, however, on the short list of vocal mics for many pro studios, when more commonly used tube and FET mics aren't right. Basically, they put up a U47 or AT4060. If that doesn't work, they put up U87. If that doesn't work, C414 is next. If that doesn't work, they put up a good dynamic and EQ it.
TLM103 is not a bad mic, in fact it's a pretty good mic. It is, however, overpriced for what it does, because it has almost no doodads, and you pay a lot for the little red diamond on the front. I don't consider TLM103 to be a mic that's a whole lot better than an AT4040, which is about $400-500 less. The 414 is a studio workhorse with a bizzillion uses. There is very little that it doesn't do at least fairly well, and a few things where it's a lot better than fair. Don't leave home without it.-Richie

I agree that the C414 is more versatile due to its polar patterns and highpass etc, but saying the TLM103 isn't seen in pro studios i just wrong. It can be found in just about any pro studio mic list, regardless of how many U87/U67/U47 they have. The TLM103 is a fantastic mic, and so is the C414. For overheads, I would use the TLM103 if I wanted cardiod and the C414 if I wanted omni.

Stefan I didn't mean to imply that studios don't use TLM103, because they do. But you can find many who don't. It is, as I said, a perfectly good mic. But- I defy you to find a professional studo of any stature whatsoever, that doesn't have a 414 somewhere on it's gear list, more likely a pair. It has been among the first choices for an overhead for 20 years or so. The TLM103 is a relatively new kid on the block. The U87, on the other hand, *does* have the kind of history I'm talking about. That's a studio standard. And I stand by my statement that the TLM103 is overpriced for what it does.-Richie

414's easily. 103's aren't even in the running for good OH mics in that price range. You'll also find many other uses in the studio for 414's than you would 103's.

There are certainly many pro studios who don't stock the 103, but do stock the 414. I have however become a bit more fond of the 103 now though then I was 2 years ago. I guess I go through big mood swings on which mics I do and don't like and why:D

Back