Neumann TLM 102 vs. Neumann TLM 103 vs. AKG C 414

guitarskills101

I have a small home studio and I am looking to purchase my first high end mic. It will be running directly into the preamps on my apogee duet interface. I will use it mainly for recording my Taylor GS5 and Vocals and will occasionally use it for piano as well. I have about 1000$ to spend and I am looking for the best mic. I have a lot of experience with the C 414, some experience with the TLM 103, and no experience with the TLM 102 but I hear that it is nice. I like the C 414 but I don't know the other mics well enough to say that one is better. I only really need the cardioid polar pattern so that is not an issue.

If it where I ..... I would choose the 102 over the 103.

Then again I would go with the 414 over both (in certain situations) for the simple facts of the selectable pads, roll offs and polar patterns.
Today you say you only need a cardioid pattern but tomorrow never knows. - believe me.

I'd gladly use a C414 on acoustic guitar, but that's pretty much it for me. I've not tried the TLM103 so can't comment but the TLM102 is very nice imo. if you only need cardioid (although, as moresound said, your needs may change), then have a look at the C214 (basically the cardioid only version of the C414).

I've used the c414 on vocals, acoustic guitars, amp cabinets, I was pleased with the c414 bxl on my vocals. c414 bxl into a UA 6176 with mild compression. motu hd192, g5 mac, logic pro, no post eq , it sounded pretty good considering the room wasn't very good.

You're probably going to get a zillion views, but I have a TLM103 and love it on acoustic guitar if that's your main use. I liked it so much I got 2 to record in stereo. Some folks don't like this mic saying it too strong/forward of a high end freq- but I like how it puts a sheen on acoustic guitar.

You're probably going to get a zillion views, but I have a TLM103 and love it on acoustic guitar if that's your main use. I liked it so much I got 2 to record in stereo. Some folks don't like this mic saying it too strong/forward of a high end freq- but I like how it puts a sheen on acoustic guitar.
that's the one thing I do like about the TLM103.. I also like the AT4047 for the same reason, it does a very good job on acoustic guitars.

Back