Neumann TLM 102 mc stand adapter

cmoorebling1983

Hi guys,

Just trying to work out if I'm being really dumb with this, can't figure it out!

I bought this and it arrived today:

Neumann TLM-102 Black Studio Set Inc Shockmount

However, I don't seem to be able to attach it to my mic stand.
I have a Studio Projects C1 and that attached fine. I think the for that is 5/8 inch.
The TLM seems to be 3/8 so I guess I need an adaptor?

Which one of these would I need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 86VE721P1T
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... QIP3HRB6RA

Or am I missing something I should have? Or something else? Really confused!

Chris.

There may already be a 3/8 to 5/8 adapter installed inside the shockmount's threads . Does it have 2 little slots like you could fit a wide screwdriver in it? If so, unscrew that puppy and viola! A 5/8" socket.

There may already be a 3/8 to 5/8 adapter installed inside the shockmount's threads . Does it have 2 little slots like you could fit a wide screwdriver in it? If so, unscrew that puppy and viola! A 5/8" socket.
Just like this........ (except the Neumann probably has cleaner cut threads in the 3/8" part than this has :eek:).....
5/8"M to 3/8"F Mic Adapter

Thanks for your replies guys.
It does has something that looks like that inside yeah. I did try to get it out without much luck but I'll see what screwdrivers I have when I get back tonight.

Cheers,
Chris.

Often better with a small coin like a penny than a screwdriver :)

Agreed. Unless you have a very wide screw driver, a coin usually works better.

I think that they're often actually designed for coins--but that clearly a silly policy as I've yet to find anyone involved with sound who has any spare money left.

Lol! If I'd noticed you were in the UK I'd have mentioned the usual suitability of the 5p coin!

If you are in the UK I would not use the crappy 5/8" American thread at all.

I would put an adaptor on the stand that converts it to the international 3/8" standard and leave the adaptor in the Neumann.

That 5/8" thread is really nasty - the thread is very fine and if it's not cut on high quality metal, can often bind and stick. The 3/8" thread is a courser thread and is the perfect pitch for microphones.

So you'd recommend 2 adapters, one to adapt the mic stand from 5/8 to 3/8, and another to adapt the shockmount from 3/8 back to 5/8? That's just weird. Just use the 5/8 on each, toss the adapters in the junk drawer, and be done with it! I've never had any issues with the finer 5/8 threads.

Back