Neumann TLM 102 for guitar, Hammond Leslie, and drums?

Jake Stewart

Hello,

New to the forum here and would love to hear people's experiences with the Neumann TLM 102 for recording electric guitar, Hammond organ Leslie cabinet, and as drum overheads in a spaced pair, recorderman, or Glyn Johns configuration.

Curious about this mic specifically because it's easily available to me.

I watched a SoundPure demo of the mic on drum overheads and I liked it, and it sounded great to me for saxophone (another application I will be recording). However, there are no demos of the mic on guitar cabinets or on a Leslie cabinet.

Any experience or recommendations?

My alternative is to buy an SM7b for recording my guitar and wait to get either the Neumanns or different mics for drums, sax, and Leslie cab. However, I have a feeling like the Neumann may do well on these applications, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to recording.

Thanks!

I would recommend, if the mics are easily available, that you do some hands on! :D
No experience with that exact mike. Sang into a TLM 170 once in a studio in Denver...

I can't really tell you much about the 102 but I know the 7b wouldn't be my first choice for acoustic instruments.
It needs a lot of gain and while that isn't an issue for me, I still don't think I'd be reaching for it.

That said..I haven't tried it. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise?

Sax is another story, though. MD421/re20/sm7b are great options for that kind of thing especially in a less-than-ideal environment.

Back