Neumann M149. Is this good for vocals?

Mr Funk

Is the M149 simply a multi pattern version of the M147? The M147 doesn't get very good pree when it comes to vocals (in fact it is never exactly praised at all). Does this mean the M149 is also pretty lame for vocalists?

Is the AT4060 any better?

interesting, i was under the impression that the m147 was an extremely high-end vocal mic. i've never heard it, or the m149, or the 4060, so i'm probably no help at all. but, i do know of several studios (one very renowned) that use the m147 as their main vocal mic (the renowned studio has a pair of m149's).

The M149 is a very good vocal mic, quite different from the 147. However, it is more of a general purpose mic than just for vocals. If you want a top of the line mic for strictly vocals you could get a Brauner VM-1 or Valvet, or a Soundelux E-47 or Elux, all of which are stellar vocal mics. However, if you might have other uses for the mic, the M149 is a good choice for a high-end 'jack of all trades'.

Scott

Originally posted by Mr Funk
Is the M149 simply a multi pattern version of the M147?
I have no idea, but I doubt it. I've never tried the '147...
Does this mean the M149 is also pretty lame for vocalists?
IME (I own one), the '149 is a very competent vocal mic. The last two records I did, I used: U67 (unmodded), U87 (ick), M149 (yum!), C800 (yum!) and C12 (old one...yum!) for lead vox work. The '149 held its own, was on most of the "keepers" for both male and female vox. It's smooth, slightly compressed when hit hard without the darkness of the U47 Tube. I run it in sorta-wide-cardioid, semi-off-axis so there's little 8-12k bump.
Is the AT4060 any better?
I dunno, I've not used the '4060. I like the '4050, but not on voxes that I've tried. FWIW, the '4047 sounds perdy good on some of the voices that sound good with the '149. The '4047 actually has a similar timbre to the '149...

Of course, none of this means anything since you have no idea what my tastes/preferences/sounds are like and I don't really know what you're looking for. But, there you go...YMMV.

Regards,
McQ

I have been offerd a M149 with 7 months warranty for £800! I am thinking that this is a scam, but the guy has supplied the serial number? I will give Neumann a call and see what they say about the number.

What about the M150. How does this compare to the M149?

Thanks for all the advice and info.

The M150 is very different from the M149, which is a true hi end and very versatile mic.

In most occasions the 149 comes out as a winner, though some male vocalists prefer the Beyer M88 over the M149.

Female vocals sound brilliant with the M149.

If you wanna know more about the 150 check the Neumann website, or post on the pinboard there. Lots of very experienced pro's there.

Neumanns website makes it seem like the M147 is pretty much based on the M149, but with only the single cap and pattern? However, I have not heard one bad comment about the M149, but hardly one good word about the M147????

I am assuming that the subtle difference between the mic designs results in vast differences in terms of audio performance?

Thnaks

Kane

Will you do this transaction in person? Or is the seller asking you to wire/Western Union $$ to Italy/Romania/Nigeria? Just a friendly word of warning. Lots of Scams going on today with microphones/guitars/etc...

I've never tried either mic, but read some opinions on rec.audio.pro. I also got the idea that the M147 sucks and the M149 rocks.
Good luck!

Mr Funk said:
I have been offerd a M149 with 7 months warranty for £800! I am thinking that this is a scam, but the guy has supplied the serial number? I will give Neumann a call and see what they say about the number.

What about the M150. How does this compare to the M149?

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Back