Need your advice of microphone stand, thanks.

Blueandwhite

I'm totally newbie to this forum and not a recording expert, the question is my nephew’s birthday is coming next month. I know he loves music and has a blue yeti, so I thought this kind of microphone stand would be a nice gift. This is not cheap so I want to make sure it’s really a perfect one? though the review looks great.
What’s the key point to choose a micro stand, do I need to know more details about his microphone? Or do you have any better recommendation? Really appreciate to hear your advice.

The Blue Yeti is a pretty heavy mic, but the ad seems to specifically state that it can handle it. The boom stand you've chosen is best for someone sitting at a desk and recording. Will he be standing or sitting in a chair while recording? If so, this genre of mic stand is probably not the best.

The Blue Yeti is a pretty heavy mic, but the ad seems to specifically state that it can handle it. The boom stand you've chosen is best for someone sitting at a desk and recording. Will he be standing or sitting in a chair while recording? If so, this genre of mic stand is probably not the best.

Hi Jeffery, thanks very much for your advice. He plays mandolin and guitar, so i guess he will sitting in a chair? should i also pay attention to the screw adapter? I was wondering if the mic stand needs any special connection to mount variety of microphones in case he uses other mic.

Hi,
Both the yeti and this stand have 5/8" threading, so they're compatible out of the box. :)

I agree with Jeffery. If he generally sits at the computer when recording, he'll probably find this useful; Particularly if he'd use it for voice (gaming/streaming/skyping etc) too.

Hi,
Both the yeti and this stand have 5/8" threading, so they're compatible out of the box. :)

I agree with Jeffery. If he generally sits at the computer when recording, he'll probably find this useful; Particularly if he'd use it for voice (gaming/streaming/skyping etc) too.

Hi Steena, thank you for the tips, then i will pick this one, hope my nephew will like it.:)

Amazon.com: Samson MB1 Mini Boom Stand: Samson Audio: Musical Instruments

I have a couple of stands similar to the above. The 1/2 height and reduced footprint is very useful in a cramped 'studio' (have about a 10sq ft space of a 12x12' plot. JUNK yr know!) There is also a variant (Thomann) that has a heavy base instead of a tripod, even better. These stands are great for micing guitar cabs but also get a mic just handy for acoustic guitar whilst seated.

Dave.

Amazon.com: Samson MB1 Mini Boom Stand: Samson Audio: Musical Instruments

I have a couple of stands similar to the above. The 1/2 height and reduced footprint is very useful in a cramped 'studio' (have about a 10sq ft space of a 12x12' plot. JUNK yr know!) There is also a variant (Thomann) that has a heavy base instead of a tripod, even better. These stands are great for micing guitar cabs but also get a mic just handy for acoustic guitar whilst seated.

Dave.

Hi Dave, i have no idea of home recording gear, but this Mini Boom Stand looks very different, and it says "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months", his birthday is coming next month, i can't wait, but thanks anyway for your recommendation.

That's UK stock but I suspect Dave was just showing it as an example of an alternate style.
That's quite a small floor standing boom stand which, I think, would be pretty useful for someone recording sit-down acoustic instruments.

Whether that's more suitable than the table-mount boom or not really just depends on whether your lad sits a table, or not, when he's recording. :)

Sometimes if I'm not sure about a gift for someone a gift certificate/card is a bit of assurance the recipient gets something that is useful and what they want. Put a picture of a mic stand in an envelope with the gift card so they'll know what you had in mind.

Sometimes if I'm not sure about a gift for someone a gift certificate/card is a bit of assurance the recipient gets something that is useful and what they want. Put a picture of a mic stand in an envelope with the gift card so they'll know what you had in mind.

The only problem with that is if the person you're getting it for knows equally little about the subject, they might be inclined to get something that really doesn't fit the situation because that's what someone else talked them into.

And I would recommend against the one you're looking at. (sorry, I just accidentally came across this thread) It really would help if you knew how he was going to/wanted to use it. Does he want to join a band and stand and sing and play with others? Does he just want to do it in his bedroom? Does he want to make podcasts?

The kind of stand/boom you're looking at is meant mainly for radio broadcasting or podcasts. It's meant to be a 'set it and forget it' type. If he uses this one, he'll be restricted to using his desk. If he tries to go to a friend's house, that friend will have to also have a desk there. AND, not all desks have a lip big enough to support this. Plus if he's constantly moving it, the wear on the connecting parts will eventually take it's toll.

Where are you, and are there any reputable music stores around?

Back