Need A Usb Hub

Websters

I experiment with various types of usb microphones. I'm looking for a quality switchable usb hub so that I can connect three usb microphones to my windows 7 computer. I want to be able to switch from one mic to another.

Here is one for USB 2 but has 7 switchable ports. You need to make sure you have USB 2 on your system. It is really better to go straight into your USB port in stead of hubs, when working with audio. The same applies to web cams as well.

I think you're going to be a little disappointed if you think simply turning a port on or off will enable/disable a specific microphone "automatically" in any use case. Maybe you'll prove me wrong, but the audio device selected for input in the operating system will not necessarily fail over to the next similar device type that gets turned on. You'll still need to set the audio preferences in the software you're using or the Control Panel, is my guess. And then, there's really no point in turning a port on or off. Just leave them all on and make the selection in the software.

What it sounds to me like is that you're trying to do what a mixer or interface does with non-USB microphones. Why not go that route, and skip the hub, which, as [MENTION=196922]Mack Caster[/MENTION] says, is generally not recommended for audio use.

+1 Keith.
Your OS may or may not default to another input device when you physically turn off/disconnect another.
I can't see it being predictable or ideal.

As Keith says, it sounds like you're more or less trying to mirror what an analog mixer and conventional microphones would do.
Personally I think I'd switch gear and go down that route.

On OSX it'd be possible to have all mics connected to a DAW and then the DAW's main output set to some virtual bus which we'd then use as our "main input" to receiving software.
That way you could just use mute/solo buttons to choose your mics plus you'd have the added advantage of faders and being able to switch plugins in and out, and record!

Not sure if Windows can afford you the same control, but I don't think so.

Back