Need suggestions for recording in a direction

Ultric

Hi, I'm posting here because I can't find anywhere else that has a focus on this sort of thing. My recording needs are not for instruments or singing, but just talking. My friends and I get together and play games on my computer/console and last time we hung out, I decided to try recording it and posting it on youtube. We were playing a game on my macbook and the microphone for it recorded our voices perfectly, as long as we were in front of it.

In response to the success, I decided I wanted to replicate the same result on my desktop (which is way more powerful and has more games). I purchased a Blues Snowball, thinking that this might work similarly (One of the modes looked like it would not record behind it) .however, after running some tests, it seems to barely pick up any sound unless you're right next to it and typically records the game I'm playing more than the sound of my voice.

I'm basically looking for a decent microphone that I can set on a table, point it away from the TV and have it pick up our voices at a medium range without us having to yell or shove our faces awkwardly into it in order to be heard.

Here is a video with the kind of results I'm looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJcfacb72OE
The laptop was positioned on one side of a conference table and I (deeper voice) was typically a decent distance away from the other guy.

I'm hoping to possibly be able to find something like this that I can go pick up today from best buy or something, but even if I have to order it, I at least want to find something that'll actually do what I want it to.

Back