Need a sturdy arm mount

skribs

I'm looking for an arm mount for my computer's microphone. I've tried a couple already. The first one had a clamp too small to fit over the bevel on my desk to grab a secure hold, and could not be tightened enough at the top to keep my mic from drooping. The second one works okay, but it's spring-loaded and the tension is not as high as advertised (it is lower in the product manual than it was on Amazon).

I need a stand that will effectively hold a 3 pound mic, with a desk clamp that reaches out at least an inch or two (so it's not trying to grasp on the sloped edge of my desk), and that will be able to position the mic over my monitors (meaning I need it to reach at least 30 inches off my desk).

Does anyone have a good suggestion for me?

The only choices that have worked for me are the RODE PSA1, and the Heil Sound PL-2T. Cheaper models probably won't do it. I don't recommend the more expensive Yellowtec Mikarm. The Yellowtec seems to like to be extended, and it takes vice grips to tighten it enough to stay put. I also doesn't come with a desk mount, so it ends up costing three times as much as the RODE or Heil.

The RODE is only rated up to 2.4 pounds. It holds my mic, but it droops lower than I want it to.

The RODE is only rated up to 2.4 pounds. It holds my mic, but it droops lower than I want it to.

The Yellowtec Mikarm (at about $300, without desk mount) is probably sturdy enough for your mic, but don't plan to change the mic position once you get it where you want it (except for swinging it to one side). It really takes more like two people to adjust it...one to hold the mic in the position you want, and a second person to tighten the three joints).

For my heavy microphones, I finally decided to use a desktop stand with a counterweight on it to keep it from tipping forward. Even then, it teeters.

I need a stand that will effectively hold a 3 pound mic, ....

Does anyone have a good suggestion for me?

Ok- you have my attention. I'll bite.... What mic are you using that weighs 3 pounds?
My heaviest are SM-7B at 756g (1lb11oz), and RE-20 at 737g (1lb10oz) according to spec sheets.
Dale

The Koenig and Meyer 23860 goes up to 1.5kg which is slightly over your 3 pound spec.

I've never used this particular model but every other K&M product I've used has been excellent.

Or, just to think out of the box, if you have room, a heavy duty floor stand with arm can give a lot of flexibility and also ensure total isolation from vibration and bumps on the desk.

Although I'm not the OP, the Koenig and Meyer 23860 is good news to me. I had never seen this stand as it is generally not stocked in the usual web-based stores in the USA. BH Photo could order it for me. Sweetwater and BSWUSA don't offer it. I was finally able to find a place (Audubon Strings) in CT that has it in stock at a decent price. I ordered one to use with my Lauten mic.

My The Koenig and Meyer 23860 arrived today (about 5 weeks after ordering it...it wasn't in stock). It isn't a big, heavy boom, but has the ability to tighten the bolts at the joints, and it holds my heavy Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387 better than my Heil or Rode booms.

Back