Need microphone guidance for a noisy environment.

osk44

I want a microphone for home podcasting (PC Desktop). There are random noises such as dogs barking, cars, people yelling, etc.

My budget is around $300 but I am mainly concerned about the noise. About the quality as long as it sounds decent/okay.

What I've researched so far is that I need a cardioid polar pattern microphone and a foam windscreen.

My understanding is that if I use a condenser microphone, it will pick up any sound. So should I prefer using a dynamic microphone? I'm not sure if it matters but I have no problem using a push-to-talk key binding.

My option for a condenser microphone is: Audio-Technica AT2020USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
For a dynamic microphone: SM58 -> SM58 The legendary vocal microphone
(I know I need a converter to USB)

Are there other alternatives to reduce the noise? I also don't mind putting the microphone close to me.

This last question is a bit general on how microphones work (I'm a bit clueless); When someone says... "A condenser microphone will pick up any sound". Does this mean the microphone is "hearing" (the sounds you can hear in a room) but the microphone is not transmitting the sound?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my lack of understanding.

Last edited:
You've been fed bad (or poorly explained info). Dynamic mics do not require power and have no built in electronics, so they are in effect, a small loudspeaker, that converts sound into a small amount of voltage. Moving the coil of wire inside needs a bit of oomph to get going, so won't be that sensitive, and won't have the ability to capture subtle, tiny information at the top of the hearing range. They are tough, and with a USB converter (or much better, a proper audio interface with real controls) will be ok if you have it in close - almost on your lips.

Condenser microphones have a much lighter diaphragm that can capture quieter and higher components of sound, but it needs power to operate the on-board preamplifier. They sound brighter, cleaner and are more accurate - and produce enough output to be usable at a bit further away, which may be good, as a dynamic very close in is a bit bassy.

ALL microphones can have different pickup patterns. Cardioid, the heart shaped one picks up mainly in front. Omni directional mics pic up all around them. Figure 8 mics do front and back but not the side, and others may be like the cardioid but narrower. The difference is your choice - using the pattern to collect the most of what you need, and as little of the unwanted sound as you can get. So for podcasting, cardioid response is normal - and condensers and dynamics are commonly this pattern.

Don't forget that if you buy a condenser it normally needs 48V phantom power up the mic cable to make it work. The plug in USB devices don't usually do this, but proper quality interfaces do. If you buy a USB equipped mic, then USB supplies power to the mic. Generally on here we do NOT suggest USB mics because although they work up close, many just don't have variable gain, so if you want to record further away, you can't turn the level up, and many USB mics are a pain to get working properly - based on the number of questions forums like ours receive.

A decent interface costs about £50 upwards, and ones with phantom just a little more. They also handle output, so have proper headphone outputs too - essential for podcasting. many computers, if you plug in a cheap USB adaptor lose their headphones output!

If your room is noisy, with a cardioid, you make sure the noise is at the null of the mic, which is at the back, and you adjust your position to maximise wanted sound and minimise unwanted. If you work the mic close in, and then move just an inch back, your voice goes from base to thin sounding very quickly - so ideally 6" away should solve the problem - but those cheap adaptors may not have enough gain. Your budget should be enough for quite decent audio. Just get a proper interface. 6" also makes pops and blasts less of a problem.

This is one of the big misconceptions.

Generally people find that dynamics are less sensitive than condensers, and more rugged in design, so you can get a lot closer to them.
The mic that picks up the least ambience/room noise is the one you're closest too.

Think about talking to someone across an echoey room, then moving right up and talking into their ear.
Up close you don't have to speak as loud and they don't hear the echo. It's the same with mics.

Rob's post is full of great information. I just wanted to hammer this bit home.

My Blue Yeti condenser mic is one of the most sensitive of my mics. In my home office, it picks up the sound of the neighbor's basset hound barking all day, and picks up my refrigerator humming. My Heil PR40 dynamic mic is one of the quietest. I suggest a dynamic mic (not too crazy about the Rode Podcaster), a good pop filter, and close miking to minimize the environmental sounds.

hypercardiod mics will work well in your situation, and if noise is still really bad use a gate/expander to that only the loudest parts get through. The issue of course isn't the microphone, it's your environment

I would also suggest a dynamic but agree with Steen's' points about "pick up potential" All down to sensitivity. SD capacitors for instance are generally a bit less sensitive than the big, side address jobbies and get one with a 20dB pad and you have a nice, crisp, close talking mic. Use a pop shield!

If this has to be done in real time, ignore this next..

It is virtually impossible in a domestic situation (and bloody hard in a pro!) to keep out "noises off". Thus, peeps that do voice over work ALSO do a lot of editing and re-recording!

Dave.

Back