Need help choosing my microphone!

BrutalHero

Hello I would need help chosing my microphone
Some information about me: I am interested in making rap songs
My room doesn't have any special setup for recording but I am looking into buying sound pads
I have never worked with audio mixers / professional microphones
My budget is around 200e and I live in greece.

I have a 200e budget and I was searching around for microphones and I stumbled on 2 really interesting ones

The RODE NT1-A that will cost me a wapping 174euro And

The FOCUSRITE SCARLETT SOLO STUDIO 2nd Gen bundle that contains (Headphones,microphone,mixer) and that will cost me 214 euro

I am starting out in the music scene so I would really like help from someone experienced. I don't want to do any mistakes with buying equipment as my wallet can't afford it.

I would like any microphones you can suggest me I just gave you 2 examples of microphones I found but I don't know much so

Happy New Year!
Thank you for helping!

(here is the type of music I am looking to make (Note this was recorded with a razer headset microphone and it was done for fun))

Last edited:
You're going to need, at a minimum, a microphone, mic stand, XLR cable, and an audio interface. Depending what you already have, you may need a decent set of closed back headphones. Finally, you'll need audio software on your computer.

If you want the "easy way" the Focusrite bundle would get you going with the addition of the mic stand and cable. On top of that, Reaper ($60) is probably the cheapest, best software you can get.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, have a look at the sE X1 microphone, an Alesis i02 Express interface and Reaper as your software again. Add some Sennheiser 281 headphones (cheap but they sound okay) plus whatever stand you can find on eBay. That'd be a good workable system with room to build and it should be roughly within your budget.

You're going to need, at a minimum, a microphone, mic stand, XLR cable, and an audio interface. Depending what you already have, you may need a decent set of closed back headphones. Finally, you'll need audio software on your computer.

If you want the "easy way" the Focusrite bundle would get you going with the addition of the mic stand and cable. On top of that, Reaper ($60) is probably the cheapest, best software you can get.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, have a look at the sE X1 microphone, an Alesis i02 Express interface and Reaper as your software again. Add some Sennheiser 281 headphones (cheap but they sound okay) plus whatever stand you can find on eBay. That'd be a good workable system with room to build and it should be roughly within your budget.

Thank you so much! I will look into everything you said :) What would be the difference in quality between sE X1 and the scarlett Bundle Microphone?

Also please tell me some sites where I can find all those you told me about I am trying to find them on amazon and I can't find them

Scarlett are known for their interfaces (which tend to be pretty good) but are not a manufacturer of microphones or headsets. From the picture, it looks very much like a generic design from a Chinese factory who make lots of mics and label them with whatever manufacturer name has ordered them. Some of these are fairly okay but quality control can be pretty loose and so can the quality.

sE Electronics are also a Chinese company but they design all their own equipment and only sell it under their own brand name. I've heard the X1 and, for the money it's a very good sound indeed. They also score on quality control--I have a bunch of their Small Diaphragm Condensers that I use as stereo pairs when required. I started by buying a specific stereo pair--but quickly found that the QC was so good I could just use any two of the same model and they were close enough make an effective stereo pair.

It's a bit the same with the headphones...the Focusrite ones may be okay but again are largely unknown. The Sennheiser model I mentioned is cheap but I know they're okay in terms of a natural sound. They're not in the same league as a $200 set but a budget is a budget.

Back