Need a better snare mic. Not happy with sm57

In Tune Audio

I think the title is pretty self explanatory. I just haven't been happy with the sound of the 57 on the snare. I've tried it on a number of snares, that have been tuned well, and different tunings. I get a decent tone through my over heads, but I want to bring the snare out more in the mix, and I find the sound from the 57 just can't do it. I've tried different positions, and pre amps. I know lots of people like the 57, and its what all books, and magazines say to use, but I want something different. If anyone has any ideas on a decent snare mic, or another way to mic it, any help would be appreciated.

Depends how much you want to spend - I like the Sennheiser e835 and the AKG C1000S (about the only thing I like it on) - but if you spend more you can get 'better'. That Beyer seems to come well-recommended by people on here.

I find this forum very handy sometimes, but every once in a while, you get a comment from an individual, who thinks everyone else is an idiot, using all radio shack equipment. I've used the sm57 with a bunch of pres. Avalon 737, Joe meek Twin Channel, Joe meek VC3 and plugged into my DM 24.

I just don't get the snap that I want, and its not a real crisp sound. even though the particular snare has a snap to it. I find the sound (for lack of a better word) tubby.

The mic does not have to be cheep. I want the best sound that I can get. I am on a bit of a budget, but I can work around it to get a good product.

You could try an LDC underneath the snare drum in addition to the 57 (or whatever mic you go with). It catches a lot of more of the crack of the snares. Just use extra care to make sure the snares don't rattle.

I was about to suggest a LDC too, like maybe a B1, but Adam's idea about an over and under configuration might be more on the mark considering how you describe your problem. Grab a B1, then try it instead of the SM57 and try it under with the SM57 above.

In Tune Audio said:
I find this forum very handy sometimes, but every once in a while, you get a comment from an individual, who thinks everyone else is an idiot, using all radio shack equipment. I've used the sm57 with a bunch of pres. Avalon 737, Joe meek Twin Channel, Joe meek VC3 and plugged into my DM 24.

I just don't get the snap that I want, and its not a real crisp sound. even though the particular snare has a snap to it. I find the sound (for lack of a better word) tubby.

The mic does not have to be cheep. I want the best sound that I can get. I am on a bit of a budget, but I can work around it to get a good product.

I merely asked because I wanted confirmation that the SM57 is over rated, regardless of how expensive the pre you run it through is.

Thank God I was smart enough to choose the superior European M201.

I've had good luck with Shure SM-7 on top (it's big, though which is a pain) and an AKG C414B-ULS padded and phase reversed, on the bottom.-Richie

Mark7 said:
I merely asked because I wanted confirmation that the SM57 is over rated, regardless of how expensive the pre you run it through is.

Thank God I was smart enough to choose the superior European M201.
Yeah, I like the M201 too... hey, for how many years and records/CD's has the SM57 been over-rated in your opinion?

PS... I think every mic sounds better with a better preamp... what do you think?
----------------------
EDIT: Added...

Who's Using the Shure SM57?

Alex Acuna
Snare
Gary Allan
Snare
BACILOS
Snare
Barenaked Ladies
Guitar Cabinet
Benny
Snare (top)
George Benson
Guitar Cabinet
Snare
Gregg Bissonette
Snare
Blondie
Snare
Michelle Branch
Snare
Bill Bruford's Earthworks
Snare
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Accordian
Leslie Cabinet
Les Claypool
Lead Vocals
Natalie Cole
Guitar Cabinet
Snare
Alice Cooper
Guitar Cabinet
Snare
Damageplan
Snare
Diamond Rio
Snare (top)
Die Happy
Snare
Vince Gill
Leslie Cabinet
Snare (top)
Buddy Guy
Leslie Cabinet
Snare
Boney James
Guitar Cabinet
Buddy Jewell
Snare
Judas Priest
Snare
Kang San-ae
Snare
Natalia Lafourcade
Bongo
Guitar Cabinet
Libido
Snare
Mana
Conga
Guitar Cabinet
Snare
Timbale
MercyMe
Snare
Jo Dee Messina
Guitar Cabinet
Snare (bottom)
Moby
Snare
Montgomery Gentry
Guitar Cabinet
Pedal Steel Cabinet
Jamie O'Neal
Guitar Cabinet
Snare
P.O.D.
Snare
Brad Paisley
Snare
Karl Perazzo
Snare
PUR
Snare
Queens of the Stone Age
Snare
Reverend Horton Heat
Snare
John "JR" Robinson
Snare
Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud
Snare
Lulu Santos
Bass Cabinet
Steve Smith
Snare
Aleks Syntek
Guitar Cabinet
Susan Tedeschi
Snare
Trick Pony
Snare
Keith Urban
Snare
Dave Weckl
Snare
The Who
Guitar Cabinet
Leslie Cabinet
Snare
Wilco
Leslie Cabinet
Chely Wright
Snare

Just to name a few...

Last edited:
That the SM57 is rubbish.

For snare.

Tighten up the damned pick up pattern (or at least make it more pleasant off-axis) and sort the freaking EQ out Shure Bros.

I don't care who uses it. They obviously have great gates to take all the hi-hat the stupid things pick up out of the snare track.

I can't afford great gates.

I also can't afford £200+ per channel pre amps to put back those middle frequencies Shure cut out in their design.

Like you... I too prefer the Beyer M201 on snare... but that doesn't change the facts (like it or not)... many, many people like the Shure SM57.

Last edited:
Many people used to believe the World was flat, and that the universe had been created in 6 days.

THEY were wrong.

DJL said:
Like you... I prefer the Beyer M201 on snare... but that doesn't change the facts (like it or not)... many, many people like the Shure SM57.
Nope. But I'm with Mark7 and In Tune. I am not a fan of the 57 on Snare. Not enough snap, too much high hat because it's not hyper cardioid.

cominginsecond, did you get your Beyer M201 yet, and if so... how do you like it so far?

Back