Need the best microphone for professional streaming/online business consulting.

Consider changing your evironment. There are several semi-circular enclosures with foam inside to block some noise. In my world, I do a weekly pre-recorded show in what used to be a dormroom. The Shure studio mics that were fine in a studio picked up all kinds of room noise, but my performace mics worked much better. As you are not in a studio, I'd suggest something radio news people use. Call up some radio station, you've got a few in NYC! :)

You may also need some kind of fabric behind you as well. Too bad you can't get a cubicle to work in.

"Yeah but I don't want people to see a mic next to my mouth"

Then ^ you are stuffed sunshine. Go out and buy 'Sound on Sound ' current Dec issue.

Dave.

If you're going to be on some kind of camera, what is going to be your backdrop? You don't want it to look like you're in your bedroom or living room, do you? Don't you want it to look like a professional atmosphere? A professional studio would probably have some corrugated foam on the wall behind and probably to the sides, too. You could do that or maybe some rock wool flats to the side and behind the camera, or a square cut out for the camera lens to look through, basically isolating all around you.

As long as the camera doesn't move, you could put side walls as close as you want, as long as they are out of frame. Same with behind the camera. This would go a long way in taking care of dog barks, room ambiance and room mate chatter. The more you could enclose yourself with sound absorbing foam or even thick sound absorbing blankets the better your microphone is going to work.

And if you can isolate yourself, you might be able to place the microphone out of frame, so it doesn't show on camera. I think you are going to have to do two things...make up some kind of isolation area that looks good on camera as well as get a good microphone. The more you spend on isolating the sound, the more versatile you can be with microphone choice.

Oh, yeah, a "Push to Talk" button should be part of your setup. And, of course, don't get a headset mic if you're a huffer/puffer or nose whistler!

Don't agree....

A "cough" button would be better than a PTT switch.

And - a good headmic. should be positioned to the side of the mouth and would avois nose blasts.

You also get a consistant sound quality and don't get drop-outs due to head movements.

Back