Need advice for a semi pro mic chain......

jerberson12

mucis procedure
Hi guys,

I am trying to step up to semi pro system.

My plans includes not only for self entertainment but make a little money out from my studio. Im thinking of having it rented to locals who like to make there demo music especially who are independent, and also be a producers for some local musicians or any songwriters to start.

I know this chain is very critical and I need to choose wisely, I dont want to waste money and should be able to spend my budget efficiently.

I have $2000 to spend for both mic and preamps and I need advice on what to buy on this kind of need.

It can be 1 mic (good for both vocals and acoustic guitars) and a preamp OR 2 mics (one for vocal and one for acoustic guitar) and a preamp. Since my place is so small, I only need 2-4 channel preamps.

Any other advice are appreciated.

So $2000 for a semi pro gears of mic and preamps.
PRO guys please help.

Gears already have:
Digidesign HD1
Digidesign 96 I/O
Yamaha MOTIF

PS: Im expecting for Focusrite or Avalon brands. But please tell me if this are too much for my needs.

TY GUYS

I've got Avenson STO-2's ($550-ish new / I bought used for $450).
I've got Sound Devices MM-1's (x2 for $700-ish / after taxes and new).
I've got an M-Audio Delta 44 ($300-ish new / I bought used for $100 used).
But I use a Korg MR-1000 ($1,200-ish new / I bought used for $800-ish).

$450+$700+$100+$800 = $2,050

I like using the Korg (no fans and a copy left on the recorder until I finish editing). But I don't really need to do much in terms of multi-tracking. And aside from the mics, borderline pro-ish IMO. If the mics had a lower noise floor, definitely pro-ish IMO. Not that I've charged for anything yet beyond copies made to burnable media. Of course that's without headphones, headphone preamp, cables, monitors, batteries, stands, treatments, and such things.

Back