Need advice on picking up the right set of SE mics...

gilwe

I have the chance of getting any of the SE mics at very good prices, so I thoughא of having a combination of a few mics which will be used all over for recording acoustic guitars and electric guitars (my main amp is a Twin), piano, vocals and drums. What would be the right set to get out of these options -

1. I thougt of having the Gemini as a multipurpose superb quality mic along with two SE1aST stereo small diaphragm condenser match pair so I can do stereo acoustic guitar recording and use the SE1aST's as drum overheads, along with the Gemini capturing the whole set (will need SM57 on the Toms and snare of course). With this pair of mics, I will not have any OMNI and Firugre8 options at all, and will always have the Gemini heavy coloration on any recording, which is very good sometimes but too much on other times.
But keep in mind this is one of a hell detailed and impressive "big" sounding mic !

2. Having the Z5600a which is a tube multipattern mic (9 positions, but no -10db pad or low cut) and the SE1aST stereo pair. In that case I can use any of the setups I can make with the Gemini and SE1aST, but the Z5600a sounds much less detailed, and not as good as the Gemini, also I didn't like how it sounds on vocals, as it sounds too sibilant to me. But here I have all of the multipattern capabilities.

3. Having the ICIS tube mic for vocals (which I liked very much), acoustic guitars and other applications and the Z3300a which is a FET multipattern mic (it HAS a -10db pad and low cut and sounds very good as a FET mic). I do not know if I'll need the SE1aST stereo pair in that case (?) as I can simply use a M/S setup for the drum overheads ? or am I worng assuming that ? anyway I won't have a room mic for the drum set up at all. All that unless I take the SE1aST pair, which I CAN take actually cause I get them real cheap - so that would be an ICIS vocal optimized tube mic, a Z3300a multipattern FET and the SE1aST stereo pair.
In that case I loose the amzaing quality of the Gemini.

What do you think would be the right pick for me ?

Thanks for any advice !

Last edited:
There are no rules man! You can do a single overhead if you want. Pick the mic you are jonesin' for and build your set up around that. (You know you want that Gemini) You aren't locked in forever, we'll buy it in the forum if you don't like it.
That's what we do! We try out mics, if we don't like 'em, we sell 'em to somebody that wants to check 'em out. You lose a coupla bucks but you end up with exactly the mics you are looking for.
I would suggest that somewhere down the line you grab a couple AT 4040 (or higher ) just to have some very nice, usable workhorses (I hate that phrase) around, Those or the CAD M179's are just plain good sounding on just about anything, maybe not the best, but never bad!

The thing is that I'm trying to have the setup SE based because of the price - I didn't have the intention to put more than 1000$ for a 2-3 condenser mic setup with that qualities. I have listened to the 4050 and think any of the ICIS and Gemini sound nicer (still not sure about the 5600). Maybe not as "right" on all sources though - I'll need to try. About the Gemini - yes, I want it ! but I need to be practical as well. I'll need a stereo set for overheads. The fourth option is I getting the Gemini, Z3300a and the SE1aST pair which will be very costy for me at this point, but would be the best choice the way I see it (it will end up costing me about 1100-1200$ for the entire set !!

... btw does a MS setup generally work good as stereo drum overheads ?
In that case I can go for only the Gemini and Z3300a.

I tend to go for option 2 I think. Multipurpose multipattern z5600a tube large diaphragm and the small diaphragm macthed pair -> Stereo recording and small diaphragm cardiode + all around large diaphragme tube. I guess I can change / improve the z5600a sound and optimize it just by replacing the stock tube with a NOS 12AX7... I'll have to try. Overall cost 550-600$. Having the Gemini sound but being limited to cardiode and mono recording would be a bug limit after all (I think).

What do you think ?

and, does anyone have any recordings made with a z5600a I can listen to ?

Thanks.

I know you're lovin the SE for the prices you're getting, but there are other mics out there...

Get the number 2 for now and then add any other mics you want later! Maybe you'll still be able to get the deal and get the Gemini later on...

Jacob

I'd do the SE3 pair before the SE1's.
They are much better mics.
Z5600A and SE3 pair would be a pretty awesome starter set
HSG

Thanks guys ;)

I'm totally amazed by the quality of the Gemini - just listen to this piano recording made with it:

But I can't spend over too much now for a mic set (need to be practical),
and sometimes I got the impression that the Gemini will sound too "heavy" on some sources so I'm not quite sure I can use it as an all-around mic.

About the SE3 I agree - if they sound much better than I may go with them, the 100-150$ extra will worth it. I feel I must have a stereo pain in this set up in any case. Now I should decide wether to take the

1. Gemini
2. Z5600a
3. ICIS

I don't feel there is much point taking the ICIS -and- the Z3300a as the ICIS is very similar sounding to the Z5600a but also the Z3300a is told to be much similar, so in that case I think thew Z5600a will answer my needs - so we end up with the final queation I think -

Z5600a or Gemini.

The bottom line is - will a tube cardiode only (Gemini) and a FET stereo pair (SE3ST) setup answer all my needs at this point, rather than a tube multipattern mic (Z5600a) and a FET stereo pair (SE3ST) ?

The Gemini is awsome but I don't want to get "stuck" withouht the multipattern, otherwise you don't think this is much necessary and it worths trading , multipattern "avarage" SE tube with a top of the line cardiode....

oh, and there is still the option of taking the Gemini and two SE2a (non matched - they do not sell them as macthed pair) which allows chaning the capsules to both omni and figure8 and use those ones for the mutlipattern setups (but still it is a 1" capsule).

Thanks again for the advices !

Last edited:
OK now I'm totally confusaed. Had another listening to the 3300 - and it sounds better on acoustic guitars many times even on vocals than all other tube mics (it is more balanced)!! What it I just took two 3300 ? In that case I could make any stereo setup I like and still get a well balanced sound on most sources ...? I ;m not sure having a tube mic as an all-around is a good idea anyway, and the SE3/SE1 didn't sound any better than the 3300 in any of the tests.

Dont forget that sE Dealers will give you a 7 day trial!!
Try em and return the ones you dont want
I was told that there will be omni capsules available for the SE3's in the future.

Another option....
Studio Projects T3 tube and the C4 pair. That will take you to $800.

Top of the line CAD tube mic is multi-pattern and well respected.

The V55 Cascade tube mic might be something to listen to with a Gemini kind of look.
Cascade also has an interesting small diaphragm mic that is similar to the SE3 in looks but is selling for $249? a pair. It is possible that they may have had a bit of engineering assistance by Siwei Zhou of sE Electronics before he parted ways with that organization (on good terms too!).

homestudioguy said:
The V55 Cascade tube mic might be something to listen to with a Gemini kind of look...
...It is possible that they may have had a bit of engineering assistance by Siwei Zhou of sE Electronics before he parted ways with that organization (on good terms too!).

...heh, heh, heh...don't let the V55's cable (with SE Electronics printed all over it) with 8-pin military-style connectors, or the same 1.35" oversized capsule shared by the Gemini, or the identical shock mount, or wood mic box within an aluminum road case, etc, etc cause any confusion :eek: ...I bought 2 for less than the price of a single Z5600... ;)

Back