Need Advice on Lavalier Mics

J8son

I'm looking to purchase a good Lavalier mic. It does not have to be wireless as this is all in studio work with a locked off subject and camera.

I have these two mics picked out on the Shure website:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm11-lavalier-microphone

and

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm93-lavalier-microphone

I've seen the SM93 listed at a price of $30 MORE than the SM11. However, based on the description and specs on the Shure website, they seem to make it out that the SM93 is a lower-end, economical version of the SM11.

Is there a bottom line to sound quality between the two? That's the most important thing to me at this point.

Thanks! :)

For archiving or for broadcasting the interviews?
Just don't get an omni microphone if you don't need one. Seen that mistake before.

:cool:

For archiving or for broadcasting the interviews?
Just don't get an omni microphone if you don't need one. Seen that mistake before.

I'll be using this on a studio set for someone talking directly into the camera at about seven to ten feet away. Yes, the intent is to broadcast.

The SM11 says it's Omnidirectional. The SM93 says its Omnidirectional, uniform with frequency but both are Lavaliers.

I'll be using this on a studio set for someone talking directly into the camera at about seven to ten feet away. Yes, the intent is to broadcast.

The SM11 says it's Omnidirectional. The SM93 says its Omnidirectional, uniform with frequency but both are Lavaliers.

Than you can get away with an omni but everyone involved will have to be pro and when quiet on the set is yelled that is what it means you don't want to hear the crew in the back ground.
If it were me I would go with the 93 ..... but have you checked out other microphone companies?

:cool:

If it were me I would go with the 93 ..... but have you checked out other microphone companies?

What made you lean toward the 93 as opposed to the 11? Were there any particular sound quality differences you could point to? Or was it just size?

but have you checked out other microphone companies?

I figured Shure was the best option as it's a name I could trust. Do you have any other company suggestions?

Don't agree with the advice against omni lavs at all. Directional lavs make little sense when the null is aimed at the wearer's crotch. Exactly what noise are we trying to reject? Also, since a directional lav may be significantly impacted by its proximity to the wearer (resulting in blocked rear ports), its pattern may well become omnidirectional or at least hemispherical. Either will have a very nonlinear off-axis frequency response.

It is sometimes possible to squeeze a couple extra dB gain before feedback with a directional lav in a live sound environment, but that usually comes at the cost of heavy EQ to restore some semblance of natural sound. That would never be my first choice for recording.

Yikes! Looks like some cool gear but a little out of my current price range for this project.

Really, I think I'll get the audio quality I need from the Shure lavalieres, I'm just curious as, based on the specs, which will record the cleanest audio. I'll mix it after the fact.

Here's the breakdown between the two:

Shure SM11
Microphone Type
Dynamic
Frequency Response
50 to 15,000 Hz
Polar Pattern
Omnidirectional
Impedance
Microphone rating impedance is 150 ohms (200 ohms actual) for connection to microphone inputs rated at 19 to 300 ohms
Output Level (at 1,000 Hz)
Open Circuit Voltage; –64 dBV/Pa (0.60 mV)
(1 Pa = 94 dB SPL)

Shure SM93
Type
80 to 20,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave rolloff below 100 Hz
Polar Pattern
Omnidirectional, uniform with frequency
Output Impedance
Rated at 150 ohms (90 ohms actual)
Recommended minimum load impedance: 800 ohms
(May be used with loads as low as 150 with reduced clipping level)

Output Level
Open Circuit Voltage: -43 dBV/Pa (7.0 mV)
(1 Pascal = 94 dB SPL)

Output Clipping Level (at 1,000 Hz)
-18 dBV (0.13 V) minimum
Total Harmonic Distortion
Less than 1% at 120 dB
Maximum SPL
120 dB
Dynamic Range (maximum SPL to A-weighted noise level)
98 dB
Output Noise (equivalent SPL)
22 dB typical, A-weighted 26 dB, weighted per DIN 45 405
Hum Pickup (electromagnetic)
-4 dB equivalent SPL in a 1 mOe field (60 Hz)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio
72 dB at 94 dB SPL (IEC 651)

The 93 seems to have more high end reach, which is what you kind of need for the human voice. There's just something about that 10kHz - 20kHz range that makes words more legible. (or annoying)

Back