Narration recording with a wind screen or pop filter?

michaellanfield

I want to record manly youtube videos and narrations. I have an indoor wind screen for my zoom H6. I find that I still get some pops from my voice. I was wondering if I need to purchase a pop filter as well as using the indoor wind screen or just the pop filter alone without the indoor windscreen that came with the H6? If I do purchase a pop filter (as I would like to also purchase a cardioid mic as well), what pop filter should I purchase? A nylon or metal screen and which brand/model and price range do people recommend? Thank you.

I wouldn't use both. Even with a pop filter in front of the microphone, I try to talk slightly off-axis, and even deliberately aim off-axis if I know a plosive is coming up in my script. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've purchased about 20 different pop screens hoping to get a perfect one. All seem about the same, but some of the metal ones (Blue comes to mind) are pretty bad. I would opt for one of the cheap ones from Auray (I think they make both nylon and metal screen filters).

I wouldn't use both. Even with a pop filter in front of the microphone, I try to talk slightly off-axis, and even deliberately aim off-axis if I know a plosive is coming up in my script. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've purchased about 20 different pop screens hoping to get a perfect one. All seem about the same, but some of the metal ones (Blue comes to mind) are pretty bad. I would opt for one of the cheap ones from Auray (I think they make both nylon and metal screen filters).

Thank you for the tips Jeffery. What do you mean by talking off-axis? Which one from Auray would you get, or just any Auray nylon pop filter do the trick? And with the pop filter, if you go up in price, are they better or are the $10 ones good quality?

The only pop filters that I have read people "swearing by" are two metal screens (different manufacturers) that cost about $350 each(!). By off axis, I mean hot having the microphone pointing directly from the front at my lips. Instead, have it pointed at the neck, the bridge of the nose, or at an angle to the mouth from the side. If you plan to use the Zoom on a microphone stand, then a pop filter with a fairly short gooseneck would suffice. Some of the nylon fabric type pop filters have two sheets, separated by about 3/8" from each other. One model that seems to work well for me is the Shure PS-6 - Popper Stopper. One of the dual screen types is the On-Stage ASFSS6-GB 6" Dual-Screen Pop Blocker.

Back