Mystery Microphone

upricon

Here's a mystery. I bought these mics on E-bay a while back I have no idea what they are. I do believe Sondy was the name of the company before 797 Audio bought it. I also believe the company was started in China with the help of a German company quite possibly Neumann. Anybody care to guess. They sound pretty good. I suspect the capsules are decent.

A while ago I wrote a thread about my 2 Rode NT1's that were original designs from the 1st batch (prototypes?) That were released onto the market to kick the whole rode thing off. Have a look at the number on the back of one of the mics, the oldest. I have an NT2 as well from that early run (1st series NT2) and the date inside is 1996. I bought all these new when they came out must have been around 1994 - 1995, best money ever spent.

View attachment 79160View attachment 79161

Yes I guess 797 Audio made the first Rodes

When the first Rodes were built Rode was not tooled up to make the body and some of the components so they were sourced. When they got a combination happening they then set up the Chinese to manufacture parts. They found that even though they got some great sounding budget mics the quality control was hard to police but they did not yet have a market and did not know if the mics would be popular. The rest is history, they were snapped up like no tomorrow, now all Rode product is made and assembled in Australia, the rest is history, like my old mics.

My old NT2 was put up against a Neumann 87 one day when the U87 failed during a session, gee maybe soloed you could hear a small difference, but in the mix the vocals recorded on the U87 and the others recorded on the NT2 were hard to pick.

Alan.

I ment to add, don't be surprised of the Sondy sounds good.

Back