mystery ampex mic pres?

thebrontosaurus

i found an old ampex quarter inch reel-to-reel from a radio station that is rackmounted with two ampex mic pre's ( i beleive its what they are. they have two mic in's each) and connect to the reel. The players looks in sad shape, it probaly needs to be cleaned up. ( i always buy reels and clean them up) but my actual question is... how much is it worth to buy these ampex pres? ive seen some of the old models go for thousands. i kinda jumped out of my pants when i saw them ( but i didnt let the guy at the flea market booth see me.)

thanks, and im going to see him this saturday...
noah

I have a Crown SX-724 that has the same features. Mine is a 4 channel 2 track with to mic pres. I think you would need to take a look at the circuit topology to see what was used and how it is built. A schematic would help you. I ordered a service manual, but that may not be an option. I happen to find the guy who bought out all the old reel to reel parts stock from Crown. It might be worth call around to some of the establish audio houses, Audio Classics (http://www.audioclassics.com/) comes to mind, and see if they can match up a year or give you information on it. If you have a year, look at ampex pres from that era. Maybe you can find a connection. Get the part and serial number off the board(s) for reference.

~K~

Back