My wife wants to buy me a mic for Christmas!

GT

I try to stay away from this site, because I start to drool.

Now I have a chance to turn that drool into reality. Now there's a sentence you don't hear everyday.

I would like a mic for acoustic and vocal, that is going to make wunder how I ever did without it. (I am curently using old AKG dynamics).

Say from $400.00 down.

BTW; I am not a gear whore, I'm more of the desert island mentality.

Am very excited!!

GT

GT,
Get a pair of Marshall 603s's and a .......

wait for it..............

Studio Projects C1.

~$390 and you're set for all sorts of possibilities....

Queue

I'm about to order a C1 for myself when I can find one with the new pad and bass roll-off.Hold on...had to wipe up some drool...
Tom

GT AM62?

Hi GT,

If you're interested in the GT AM62, a tube mic with power supply that normally sells for about $850 (and sounds great to my ears), send me an email and I'll forward you information from a private party I recently contacted who has a couple of them for sale in your price range. I know nothing about him, but he seems open to discussion and sent me his phone number and a couple of pictures.

mhubbard@internews.org

Mark H.

Het GT,

Just got my C1 in today...a great mic for $230.00 (US). I don't think there's a better mic out there for the price. Now, if you have a few more dollars then the choices increase in numbers. And as you've been reading, opinion vary as to what to buy. However, tell you wife to get you a C1 and spend the balance on another mic, or something else for your system. You won't regret it. Its not like you bought a Marshall 2001p and the rig your using it on is for deep fishing!

Feliz Navidad

lavoz

I should clarify that I agree with what others have written in this thread -- I was thinking of additional possibilities to suggest. In the USED department, I'd be shopping for the AT 4050, AT 4047; the AKG C414 B-ULS ($400 would be a stretch); the aforementioned AM62 tube mic; the Rode NTK, Shure KSM32 and even a workhorse like the Electro-Voice RE20 (designed for broadcast voice but good for many things).

Think about what you most want to record and the qualities that are most important to you.

You lucky guy!

Mark H.

Make sure you have a NICE preamp to go with the nice new mic...one without the other just doesnt make it the magical experience it could be.....

C1 or Marshall MXLv67G with a Joe Meek....

So far I think I have to agree with Buck.

The Rode NTK is fairly expensive, BUT it comes with two things allready built in:

1. Phantom power

2. Built in tube sound.

If you don't have phantom power, or a tube pre, this seems like an important factor, and would actually make it competitively priced, to the cheaper mics, that would need outboard gear.

I would also think Rode would have a better chance of matching up the tube sound with the mic, better than you or I.

Buck may be on to something!!

Back