My voice is to bassy :( what can i do?

sunzz

Hi all, hope you dont mind me asking but im using a blue spark digital (USB) to do commentaries on my videos but my voice is so deep and bassy. Even with a popfilter/shield, being a good distance away and having the gain lowish its still deep and doesnt really sound clear.

Iv tried the "focus" switch thats on the mic but theres no change. I record my vocals using audacity. Is therer some way i can lower the bass a bit? maybe change to a new recording program with some kind of filter? any ideas are really appreciated :D thanks for reading

First off I would suggest posting a sample here.

There is no way to give a judgement of audio without hearing it. :)

Get a job doing "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water" movie trailer VOs. They love deep and bassy.

Seriously, the solution probably is to simply do a bit of EQ but Jimmy is 100% right--post a sample we can listen to, preferable from a site where we can download rather than just listen to a stream.

One thing we can answer--yes, there are better DAW programmes out there. Audacity can be pretty limiting. Adobe Audition is pretty standard for VO work, used in thousands of radio stations and so on, but it's only available on subscription and gets pretty expensive. Still, worth downloading the 4 week free trial. On the other hand, Reaper is probably a pretty good compromise--again, free to try and only $60 to buy.

What I heard, you are too close to the mic. Try backing away and take some sample recordings.

What I heard, you are too close to the mic. Try backing away and take some sample recordings.

i find if i move to far away it doesnt pick me up well though the wave is tiny, and even when i find a good medium its still bassy :S its weird because the blue spark has about 5 turns of gain but when the actualy microphone volume is up high the static is unbareable, so im at 10 out of 100 in windows volume with 2 turns of gain.

i find if i move to far away it doesnt pick me up well though the wave is tiny, and even when i find a good medium its still bassy :S its weird because the blue spark has about 5 turns of gain but when the actualy microphone volume is up high the static is unbareable, so im at 10 out of 100 in windows volume with 2 turns of gain.

What happens if you turn the level in Windows back to 100 and turn down the mic gain?

What are you using as a sound card/ interface? I also have a blue spark in the locker but it never had gain issues. Like previously stated, stepping back from the mic would help a lot but you'd need a decent interface that'll give you clean gain.

What are you using as a sound card/ interface? I also have a blue spark in the locker but it never had gain issues. Like previously stated, stepping back from the mic would help a lot but you'd need a decent interface that'll give you clean gain.

The OP has the USB version of the mic.

You can record at a lower level and then increase the gain in an editor, like audacity or a true DAW. This is a common problem with people new to recording. Don't look at the wave source. Record at the level you need, turn up the volume in head phones or speakers. Once you have recorded, you can add your gain back to push up the levels on the final recording.

Get a job doing "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water" movie trailer VOs. They love deep and bassy.

Seriously, the solution probably is to simply do a bit of EQ but Jimmy is 100% right--post a sample we can listen to, preferable from a site where we can download rather than just listen to a stream.

One thing we can answer--yes, there are better DAW programmes out there. Audacity can be pretty limiting. Adobe Audition is pretty standard for VO work, used in thousands of radio stations and so on, but it's only available on subscription and gets pretty expensive. Still, worth downloading the 4 week free trial. On the other hand, Reaper is probably a pretty good compromise--again, free to try and only $60 to buy.

hahahaha "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water" lol. im wondering if i should trial adobe audition but as its only for basic commentary im not sure you know.

Bassy is good. Bassy compared to what. If you try to mimick someone it ll never sound right. Be yourself with a decent mic and maybe a mixer you should be fine

Bassy isn't automatically good but I must admit that, over the years, I've had numerous VO artists ask for more bass in their voices...and this is the first one asking for less!

Back