Are my SM57's fake?

pearldrum944

They are both different. The labels are different (no raised R though), and the internals are different. One has three wires, the other has 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 130
pearldrum944 said:
They are both different. The labels are different (no raised R though), and the internals are different. One has three wires, the other has 2.

Hi,
where abouts did you purchase the 2 wire one? (the unscratched one) :confused:
Spit.

The 2 wire SM57 I bought from someone at my school who didn't really know what they had...if It's even a real 57, either way, both of the mics are second (or third) hand.

I own two SM58s and two SM48s both of which have 2 wires coming from the capsule. They go to the transformer which is located (under a lot of glue) in the microphone body.

The three wired one seems like the lemon (if there is one). Where did you get it? How does it sound compared to the other one? Perhaps you could email shure about it.

Perhaps the 3 wire one was modded to be transformerless ala the tapeop article awhile ago? Is it lower in volume than the other one?

It does look like there's an unjacketed ground wire, which wouldn't be particularly surprising.

No, I'm pretty sure that neither of them is fake. The odds of you finding a fake Shure mic anywhere other than eBay are almost infinitesimal.

In fact, sometimes I wonder if Shure isn't deliberately exaggerating the fake SM5x mic scare to frighten people into buying new mics out of fear that they might get a fake one if they buy it used.... Maybe that just makes me really cynical.... :D

Back