Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My SM57 into a Firebox

ericlingus is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks

My SM57 into a Firebox

Sign in to disable this ad
    When I record my amp with my SM57 which is plugged into the 1st mic pre in my firebox, I have to turn the amp really high and have the gain on the firebox up high to even get a signal. I thought I could mic my amp and play reasonably loud and it would get a reading, like how loud i'd have it if I was just practicing myself.. But I don't. I really have to crank my amp if I want to record it. What I want to know is, is this normal? If not, what could be the possible problems? Oh and one more thing. I put the mic right against the speaker cone so that it's touching it a little. So it's not like I have the mic set up 5 feet away from the amp or anything.

travelin travis is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    do you have the 10db boost on in the presonus software mixer?
    artist formerly known as thebigredhotdog, formerly known as travelin travis, and formerly known as travisinflorida.

Thanks
    yep. It's +12 actually.

Thanks
    other than that, i have no idea. i remember another guy complaining about the same thing in another thread. i was under the impression that the firebox and firepod have the same pre's and i have'nt heard anyone complain about the firepod pre's. maybe i just have'nt noticed the complaints. sorry that i can't be of any help. good luck.
    artist formerly known as thebigredhotdog, formerly known as travelin travis, and formerly known as travisinflorida.

Thanks
    i took a look at the firebox specs and the pre's have 57 db's of gain. i have used a 57 thru a mixer channel that had 60 db's of gain and never had a problem with the signal being too low. i used to record my amp at fairly low levels with that setup. i wonder if something else is at play here. your mic is a Shure SM57?

tikka308 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    Hey - I'm the "guy" complaining about the same setup. I have an MD421 and SM57 with a firebox. I haven't looked closely since a few days ago (been traveling for work), but I believe I have to set my pre at over 80% with the SM57 pointed at my hot rod deluxe - which is playing at a comfortable room level (if anything, a tad on teh quiet side for a tube amp)
    Presonus Firebox, Summit Audio 2ba-221, MD421, SM57, iMac G5, Mackie HR824

Nick98338 is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    This problem is typical with cheap dynamic microphones and cheap external audio interfaces. It's been posted dozens of times on this forum. I've experienced this, myself, with 5 different dynamic microphones (Shure, EV, and Nady) and three different interfaces (Tascam, Lexicon, and Presonus). I have the most experience with a Presonus Inspire 1394 interface. I have to turn on the "boost" (+20db), turn the gain way up, and get the mic really close to the sound source. It does produce a pretty good sound once I've done all of that, though.

flamin-gitaur is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    If you click on the start menu (assuming you are using windows) =>accesories=>firebox, there should be a small pop up that has the settings for the inpus, latency, etc. Make sure that you have the (+4db) box checked for input one. This will give you more boost on your line level. You should also be able to access your firebox with the little icon down on the tool bar at the bottom of your screen by the clock.

Thanks
    I know, and it's +12db not +4.

guttapercha is offline Lovely Lad
    Thanks
    I also have to turn the gain up high with a 57; the dial's almost at max on my Tascam US-122. I mic a VOX 15W amp (closely as you describe) with the volume at a comfortable level - not cranked.

When I use a Yamaha mixer (MG10-2), I get a bit more gain, but the dial is still pretty close to max. I think that the 57 just needs a lot of gain, but when you get it there, it really does its job well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information