Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Shure SM58 sounds worse than my Samsung Galaxy S7 Mic... Fix?

Thanks

My Shure SM58 sounds worse than my Samsung Galaxy S7 Mic... Fix?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

So I'm using a Shure SM58 to record on my desktop, and it sounds pretty bad. Lots of static noise, and it actually sound worse (not even taking the static into account, but just the voice quality otherwise) than my Galaxy S7 when recording using its built in mic.

I'm connecting to my desktop via a Marshall MXL Mic Mate and using Audacity.

Should I get another preamp? Are there any other fixes?

Edit, I turned down the "level" (?) on my MicMate preamp to low, and the quality sounds better, but the static persists. I also plugged in my Antlion ModMic (another microphone) into the same USB port and there is no static.

Thanks
    Last edited by hyrdbil; 4 Days Ago at 23:47.

Thanks
    In my view, a dynamic like the 58 does better with a actual preamp - like with a USB audio interface or a USB mixer, etc.. EVEN going into the computers MIC jack with my mixers analog out seems to work fine.

It would be prudent to find some other place to plug the 58 into, just to be sure the shure isn't buggy

Thanks
    We need to hear the 'static noise' - we're imagining which doesn't help. A short clip please.

Thanks
    Hi,

Here is a sample. I also tried connecting it to my laptop through the Mic Mate, and I still get static.

Samplehomerecording - Instaudio

Should I try an XLR to aux cable and plug it into my sound card or motherboard?
    Last edited by hyrdbil; 3 Days Ago at 18:12.

Thanks
    Terminology :>) 'Static? No. To me 'static implies 'crackling. What I hear is a mic with the source ('wanted signal) either too soft -and or too far away, with a lot of room noise (..and perhaps equipment hiss too.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Terminology :>) 'Static? No. To me 'static implies 'crackling. What I hear is a mic with the source ('wanted signal) either too soft -and or too far away, with a lot of room noise (..and perhaps equipment hiss too.
    Thank you for the explanation. But do you know how I can fix this?

I experience this even on my laptop, which makes no audible noise while recording.

I cannot think of any other noise in my room.

edit:
    I don't know if the audio recording that I uploaded is clear, but to me it sounds similar to white noise.
    Last edited by hyrdbil; 3 Days Ago at 22:57.

Thanks
    Sorry, my experience (ref) is pretty basic (read 'old school :>) Mics, decent preamps, converters, RayDat into the DAW.
    Given what I heard.. Get up on the mic, sing/talk whatever, with some 'authority', and establish that with good acoustical strength at the mic.. ie vocal well louder in the room.. Start there and see where it leads.

I cannot think of any other noise in my room.
    I could hear (we all could) noise like that.. in any of our typical home studio mic/setups with an open mic and a timid'/off mic or low level source.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Sorry, my experience (ref) is pretty basic (read 'old school :>) Mics, decent preamps, converters, RayDat into the DAW.
    Given what I heard.. Get up on the mic, sing/talk whatever, with some 'authority', and establish that with good acoustical strength at the mic.. ie vocal well louder in the room.. Start there and see where it leads.

I could hear (we all could) noise like that.. in any of our typical home studio mic/setups with an open mic and a timid'/off mic or low level source.
    Why does my other microphone not produce such noise then? If I just keep the sound at a level that sounds equal to my music, or an interview, etc, the noise on my recording sounds much louder. My smartphone also doesn't produce that kind of noise.

Edit, I understand that these are all different mics, but I wouldn't think the difference would be so tremendous (although I know very little about this).
    Last edited by hyrdbil; 3 Days Ago at 01:27.

Thanks
    A couple of things to consider:

First, the SM58 is the most counterfeited microphone in the world. Are you positive yours is real, i.e. did it come from a reputable supplier or a dodgy online purchase. FYI, Shure used to have a section of their site to help you identify counterfeits--might be worth going looking.

Second, the SM58 is mainly designed for live work. This means it has a very low sensitivity and low output level. It's happiest with a vocalist screaming into the mic from a half inch away while it rejects stage wash. To use it in a studio you tend to need an interface or pre-amp plus interface that gives a lot of clean gain. I can't find specs for the Mic Mate but I'm pretty sceptical it's designed for low output dynamics like the SM58. Most MXL mics are condensers with a much higher output. In this case, a proper external interface with a good, high gain pre amp should sort you out--and probably help with no latency monitoring as well.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Man, it was so long ago that it was purchased. I don't recall from where it was purchased. I've been looking at fake and real websites, and see that my SM58 does not have the trash can symbol on the XLR connector. So is it a fake?

If so, I will buy another microphone. Do you have any suggestions on mics in the $150ish range and below for recording on a desktop? I already have a Marshall Mic Mate as previously mentioned.

Thread Information