Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My Shure SM58 sounds worse than my Samsung Galaxy S7 Mic... Fix?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    There doesn't seem to be a gain spec for any of the MIC Mates ?

Thanks
    It probably stems from the 58 needing more gain than the typical mic. For the brief period that I tried using a 58 at home, I needed to set the input gain on the preamp to 10. At that point, you start getting hiss and room noise, just like your post. See here:

general...highlight=sm58

equipme...highlight=sm58

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general...highlight=sm58

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    They don't really engineer modest modern interfaces for Dynamics. They want all that work done with a active MIC. My older preamps might be 7-9 on the dial depending on noise and what level is wanted on the track with a long ribbon MIC. With digital recording, -20 levels isn't so bad, if you can keep that gain noise at bay. Many people think you need a decent console amp, or, something at least the quality of a ISA One for the SM MICs. I've only one Shure non-pro model from the early '60s, but with my ball-head Tascam, I don't think I run into problems. I just keep the gain from being cranked on my $60 interfaces..

Thanks
    I'm really not hearing any fault - just (from the sound of it) too much distance and therefore too much gain, and even then, the level of your clip had to be vastly increased to hear it properly. 58s are designed to be used almost with lips on the grill - however, people have always used them further away and gain isn't really a problem with them normally. However, they're a dynamic, and compared to a condenser, low in level. If the preamp can't cope - you need something better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So are the other people that I see recording farther away from the SM58 on YouTube using preamps that reduce the noise?

Am I better off with a different mic (like a straight USB solution), or a different preamp?

I am also not sure that my SM58 isn't faken given the lack of garbage bin symbol on the XLR connector.

Thanks

Thanks
    To be kinda' cost efficient, you might look for a ART tube MP-type on Craigs, or, eBait - get a a cleaner 10-20dB by gain staging into the computers sound card ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyrdbil View Post
    I am also not sure that my SM58 isn't faken given the lack of garbage bin symbol on the XLR connector.

Thanks
    There are lots of superficial giveaways but the obvious one for me is always the weight.
    An sm57/58 capsule is solid and heavy. Any fakes I've seen used very light flimsy elements with a hollow plastic chamber filling the rest of the cavity.

If you have no point of reference then I guess that's not very useful to you but hey....May as well say it.

There are some good threads out there with stacks of pictures identifying some of the common giveaways. Have a google if you're concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyrdbil View Post
    So are the other people that I see recording farther away from the SM58 on YouTube using preamps that reduce the noise? ..
    Maybe. But let's get this sorted out; How close are YOU in the example?
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    It probably stems from the 58 needing more gain than the typical mic. For the brief period that I tried using a 58 at home, I needed to set the input gain on the preamp to 10. At that point, you start getting hiss and room noise, just like your post. ...
    More hiss- yes. But more 'room'..? No. That's a constant for their relative levels at the mic.
    .. Just just for the record
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    The mic is probably 4 inches away from my lips.

Thanks
    I have to say that, although it takes experimentation, my money would be on the noise being caused by the MXL getting noisy when cranked up to handled a low output dynamic. I'd see if I could borrow some other gear and experiment before running off and buying a new mic to use with the MXL.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thread Information