My quest to find the perfect mic for cheap ha haaaa !!!

Omega757

:( Well for the past year or so i have been looking to find the perfect mic for me. During this time period i have tried many mics,the M Audio Luna,mxl 960,Sterling Audio ST 55 and 66,CAD M177/179,M9,Avantone CK 7,Nady TCM 1100 original version,MXL v67/63m,Recording Tools MC 900 aka Kel Audio Song Sparrow they are the same mic. I can't seem to find one that fits me perfectly,i'm not a picky guy and i'm not loaded with cash.I'm just a guy looking for that one special mic lol. Out of the one's i've tried the MXL 960 with tube swap,MC 900 and Avantone were the best to me. Most of the time i noticed i didn't like mics with transfomers in them,they seemed wooly or hazy. A friend of mines has a M Audio Sputnik that i'm quite fond of,but me i can't afford one of those.

So fellas and ladies what can you guys recommend me that i may like in the 200 to maybe 400 dollar price range ?

Everything that you listed is a LDC. Maybe you need to move onto a Dynamic microphone to find your bliss.

I would suggest you continue auditioning mics until you find what you're looking (listening) for. Since it is impossible for anyone here to know exactly what you want, suggestions are tough.

I'm always looking so i'll just keep on trying out more mics.I'm gonna start trying out more expensive mics. My pre is a Warm Audio Wa12 which is a damn good pre imo. Anyway thanks for all comments.Sometimes i just like to discuss mics and things on forums and get other peoples exp with their mics and which ones they like for what.I mostly record vocals as i work with mainly hip hop and r & b type artists.

I'm always looking so i'll just keep on trying out more mics.I'm gonna start trying out more expensive mics. My pre is a Warm Audio Wa12 which is a damn good pre imo. Anyway thanks for all comments.Sometimes i just like to discuss mics and things on forums and get other peoples exp with their mics and which ones they like for what.I mostly record vocals as i work with mainly hip hop and r & b type artists.

And you have tried all of the usual suspects in the Dynamic world?

Take a look on ebay then for a used SM7b or an EV R20either of which if you don't like them (gonna find that hard to believe) can be sold here with no loss in revenue.

Maybe i missed it, but i didn't see the usual Rode suspects on your list (NT1a, NT2a, NTK) or any of the sE mics (sE X1, sE 2200a, sE Z3300a) all of which are probably worth a try, especially the sE stuff or the older Rode stuff (the original mat grey NT1 and original NT2). If you liked the Avantone CK7, although it wasn't the perfect mic for you, there's always the CK6 and CV12 (although i don't know how much the CV12 is your side of the pond).

There's also the whole world of Ribbon mics that may work for you, although as you said about mainly working with Hip Hop and R'n'B the dynamic route may be the way forward :)

I'll bet most of us here understand the never ending search for that perfect mic. Trust me......it's never ending. And my experience has taught me that it's very easy to go off in the wrong direction after reading a million reviews and talking to the guys at the music shop. It's not all about cost. It's all about the "fit" that works for you. Whatever that is. It's that simple. Trust your ears. As others have mentioned.....take another look at the dynamics out there. I too bought lots of condensers but actually fell in love with a Sennheiser e935 after trying one. Don't judge them all by the SM58.

Great post everyone and great info in them. Thanks !!! I will continue on my search full sail ahead lol !!!

Back