My next dynamic

EleKtriKaz

Home (w)Rec'r
Alright, I've taken stock of my mic locker and have come to the conclusion that I'm in need of a good dynamic. My current mics are as follows:

Rode NTK
(2) Shure SM81s
Sennheiser MD421 U5
AT4033

I'm getting ready to gear up so that I can do drums easily, and I'd also like to have something that is versatile, something to complement my MD421 and maybe fill in some of the gaps in my mic locker. The mics I'm considering thus far are:

EV 635a
EV RE15
EV RE18
EV RE20
Shure SM7
Shure 545 Unidyne (may get one of these along with one of the others)

What would you recommend? Like I said above I'm looking for versatility, but also quality. I would love for whatever I get to be usable on guitar, drums/percussion, and deep male vocals. I'll say budget of up to $300, I'm thinking of the RE20 here, but I'd really only want to go that high if I absolutely have to. Hope I've provided enough info.

EleKtriKaz said:
Alright, I've taken stock of my mic locker and have come to the conclusion that I'm in need of a good dynamic.

:confused:

The 421 is a very good dynamic. It should cover you on guitar cabs and drums. Of the others you listed, I think I'd lean towards the 635a and the SM7.

either a sm7 or a 545 would be a great addition to your collection without very little money spent.

mshilarious said:
:confused:

The 421 is a very good dynamic. It should cover you on guitar cabs and drums. Of the others you listed, I think I'd lean towards the 635a and the SM7.

This is true. I love my 421...I just want something that can give me a different flavor on electric guitar...plus I only have one 421, so I need some more dynamics for drums.

EleKtriKaz said:
This is true. I love my 421...I just want something that can give me a different flavor on electric guitar...plus I only have one 421, so I need some more dynamics for drums.

Then use Scriabin's suggestion; SM7 on kick, 545 on snare, 421 on toms.

I like the RE20, because your cabinet doesn't seem to have a real good kick drum mic. The RE20 will do that, and is also a kickass vocal mic. SM7B and MD441 are both excellent dynamics, but I don't think either one would be my choice for kick.-Richie

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I need to find a place that will let me test out the RE20 and the SM7. Keep the suggestions coming.

EleKtriKaz said:
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I need to find a place that will let me test out the RE20 and the SM7. Keep the suggestions coming.
FWIW... I love the SM7, but not on kick.

Back